How many of you went straight for your DAS never riden befor

Personally, I would go down the DAS route to get the test out of the way. Then spend 150 quid and sign up for IAM. That will give you the advanced training, which is what you really need.

There is so much fear and anxiety out there when all you need to do is keep your relative speed low, give yourself the space and time to react, use your common sense and take it steady while you build experience and confidence.

The truth is that all production bikes are easy to ride. They have to be. Get a big bike and just take it steady while you get used to it. Overall you'll save yourself a lot of time, it will be safe, fun and you'll be getting the most out of motorcycling.

Don't miss out the IAM step though, it will save your life. Riding around on a 125 with rubbish tyres, brakes and no power to overtake quickly is the most dangerous part of any bikers life. IMHO.

• 2 months later...

I've read this with interest, it's particularly interesting to listen how people relate their own experience.

The bottom line is that experience does not always mean ability, and ability doesn't come from experience either.

You have to be able to put your ego away in my view.

I will say this time and time again, motorbikes are not dangerous, my two are sitting in the garage peacefully on the stand harming nobody. The problem starts when the idiot that connects the seat to the handlebars climbs on it and rides away.

Lots of different opinions here, but what it boils down to is that you need four things to become safe on a motorbike, training, time, mileage and attitude.

The last one, attitude is the most important, the other three build up into experience. As TC says lots of riders do DAS over 3-5 days, pass the test, go buy a bike of 600cc or more, open throttle and kill themselves. This isn't a problem with DAS, it isn't a problem with 600cc + motorbikes, the bike only goes as fast as you twist the throttle, its a problem with the rider who was naieve and arrogant enough to think he/she could do it that way, then crack open that throttle.

Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't reccomend anything like a Fireblade for an inexperienced rider, I wouldn't even reccomend a 600 supersports, but something like an SV650 or an ER6, or a Yamaha Diversion, are perfectly safe first bikes if the rider approaches them with the right attitude and treats them with respect.

125's actually create their own safety issues when the traffic gets heavier and the speed of the traffic around you rises above 60mph. Having 56mph trucks overtaking you because you've hit a bit of a headwind or a hill is not a pleasant (or safe) place to be. Neither is having an impatient twat in an Audi or BMW sitting right on your rear wheel, then pulling off a silly overtake, on a two way road because he wants to do 70. Personally I think a bike with 30bhp is safer than a 125, even for the novice rider.

So, it doesn't actually matter how you go about getting your license, what matters is you. You have to understand that you don't really start learning to ride a bike until the L plates come off, and you get onto something bigger than a 125. If you go and buy a bike with 30-50bhp perfect, if you go and buy a bike with 70-80bhp that's fine too, you'll find you keep it longer, just realise you're not ready to use it yet and go steady on that throttle. Don't go and buy something with more than 80bhp, you're getting into bike where a beginners mistake with the throttle can spit you off.

Even if you've done DAS and got your license, getting more training is always a good thing.

Just get training, give yourself time, and put in the mileage, whether you do it with L plates on your bike or not doesn't matter if you have the right attitude.

No experience at all did Cbt one week and 4 day das the next. Passed no problem. Been riding for about 3 years without any issues. Depends how confident you are as to weather you need more experience before hand. I didn't want my licence til I was 30 though as I was to immature

• 2 weeks later...

I keep asking myself the same question, every bloody day.

I've completed my CBT. I've booked my theory test.

I am 26 years old, driving cars for about 8 years now.

I keep telling myself I should go straight for DAS but at the same time I am bit worried that if I don't pass on my first go it will cost me a fortune, but I also don't want to waste my money on a 125 as I know as soon as I pass I would be looking at getting a bigger bike.

On a nice day like this though I wish I had at least a 125 to ride.