How many of you went straight for your DAS never riden befor

Just curious, I've been thinking about doing my DAS but the thought of potentially wasting a lot of money scares me.

Failing the modules scares me, I took 4 attempts to pass my driving licence. Don't quite have the disposable income I once did.

Also, the thought of learning to ride a 125 for a year or so is starting to appeal more now. At first I thought it was a silly idea and I'd end up spending money on a 125 to want a new bike in a few months. I'm also not a small guy so I wouldn't be the quickest thing out and about.

I posted about me wanting to get into bikes on a car forum to get their ideas and some guys said people were passing their mod 1 and 2 within 4 days but we're still dropping their bikes etc. The day before. Just seems a bit quick or are they really intense enough to get you ready?

If you haven't guessed by now, my nerves usually get the better of me, although I'm fairly competent at life... Haha

I did my CBT, bought a 125cc and rode it for the seven months I spent taking DAS lessons and going through the various tests. I would suggest do your CBT and then decide. If you take to riding a motorcycle like a duck to water, you could try one of the quick schemes.

I rode for a couple years between cbt and das (realised I only had a month left on the cbt so had to get my act together!!)

Nerves seem to be an issue on the mod1 but 4 days is enough to give you the skills to pass. Just take a deep breath between each section there's no time limit :)

Agree with throttled after you do the cbt you'll have a feel for it and can take it from there. The instructors will be able to offer advise for the das too

I sat my CBT in March this year and currently tide a 125. I have done my theory and Mod1 however.

After the CBT I asked about DAS, my instructors said I could probably pass with around 6hrs of training. They did comment that I seemed to take to the bike very well however. Normally they would recommend at least 10 hours. They don't do full day courses normally. But lessons of 90min long. You can however book one for the morning and one for the afternoon, or a double lesson back to back. Reason being that it apparently helps you learn if you have time off the bike for stuff to "sink in".

I sat my Mod 1 in September after having my 125 from April. I done a mock Mod 1 on my own bike as an assessment then a further 90min lesson on the 650cc bike before I took my test. Passed with 1 minor (went 49kph through the speed trap)

After done that I spoke to my instructors again. Both said another lesson out on the big bike and I could probably pass Mod 2 with no issues, depending how I got along with being on a dual carriageway.

I've not been out again though because of life stuff getting in the way.

I am a little weird though and I fell in love with the 125 that I bought. I'll be keeping it after doing my tests, just want the L plates off it, so I'm not in a rush to get the tests done.

I did a year on a 125 and then my DAS.

In terms of passing the test, there's not much a years riding is going to really teach you other then bad habits.

In terms of experience, I think it's pretty essential for road safety as bikerbike says, well it was for me.

go do your CBT and see how you are

see what the instructor says!!

without you actually riding a bike you aren't going to know what sort of training you will need

you have an advantage of a car licence so you have some knowledge of the road already

when I did my test there was no mod 1 and 2! I did my theory then my CBT and 2 and half days on a ER5 with the test been on the half day!! passed first time with no problems

the real learning starts when your out on your own! no amount of training will prepare you for real world riding it will only prepare you to pass the tests

I have 2 caps to wear on this subject, one as a qualified CBT and DAS Instructor for more years than I care to remember, and my 2nd hat as a motorcycle crash investigator.

On the first count, there is no substitute for experience and getting miles under your belt. If you are in no particular hurry, by spending a year or so on a smaller bike putting in the miles will not only make you a better more confident rider, but you will find it easier to learn and adopt the techniques required to pass the test. This means that you can concentrate on the matters in hand rather than also having to think about the physical riding of the bike.

On the second point putting my investigator and legal head on I have never been a fan of DAS and I have never been a fan of intensive courses.

I have lost count of the number of people who have gone from novice to full licence in a few days, and then gone and broought a larger bike on the basis that because they have passed their DAS test then they can ride anything competently.

The reality is that the learning curve actually starts once you take the L plates off, and you are simply being taught how to pass the test and not the skills for life, hence the reason as to why I have to look at so many crashes involving so many newly qualified DAS riders who believe that their crashes were not their fault when again the reality was that it was their lack of knowledge and/or experience that caused the problem in the first place.

Those who ride for a while as a learner on their own biks tend to be a better lower risk and become a better rider n the longer term as they do not suffer from over confidence as intensive students do.

DAS and the riding test are not fit for purpose,so, I woud suggest that a year gaining experience, (also developing/earning you first years no claims discount) is a better and more sensibe route to go, not to mention the fact that if you buy right, you could sell whatever bike you buy in a years time for similar money to what you paid and it then becomes a cheap way to get that first years experience.

Most schools and instructors will insist that the intensive route is the way to go. That is normal because they want you on their conveyor belt and they want your money.

Just my thoughts ofor what its worth.

Edited by TC1474

I'm biased an opinionated.

...Sorry, what were we talking about? :lol:

I did a year on my CBT and racked up 14,000 miles in that time, riding in every weather possible and on every type of road (motorways aside, obviously). Did one day of training before my Mod 1 and Mod 2 and passed both first time with a clean sheet - so naturally I think that riding a 125 for a while is the best way. Also I know someone who did an intensive course then bought a 1000cc sports bike right away, and he's an insufferable nob that really can't handle his bike very well :lol:

All the above is good advice.

You can have most 'style' of bike accidents just as easily on a 125 as on a bigger machine!

But personally I'd go for the slightly safer option of getting some 125cc hours under your belt before moving on.

DAS works fine for some people, trouble is the system is flawed, and one size does not fit all.

Our bike school does try very hard to accommodate all types and levels of skills. Though it is a business we do try very hard to tailor training to each individual.

Again, as stated above, baby steps, do your CBT and then see how you feel....

Personally I Did my CBT last december and my DAS in January. I'd already bought my GSXR and had it sat looking at me for a couple of months whilst waiting for test dates and Theory bookings to be available.

10k miles and 12 months later, I'm loving it. No regrets and no major issues.

A couple of close calls, but no more than when you drive a car. Prior to riding I've had my driving license 4 years so driven here and there. Knowing the rules of the road and having been out on the roads prior to riding helps massively.

I also would say that riding has also made me a hell of a lot more aware and observant when driving a car/van. Saying that, in the 5 years of being on the road I've never had an accident. (touch wood)

I had a number of dealers tell me that they would not sell more powerful bikes to novices. I do not know how true that is, especially if a dealer is faced with a wad of cash and a sale.

But what that says is that the consensus is from dealers, us and those who train, is to get a 125cc and practice, practice, practice.

did my cbt january 2014, bought a 125 in september 2014, took theory in dec 2014, started training in august 2015, passed A licence test october 2015, sold 125cc bought 500cc.

did my test parts as i felt ready and had the cash to do them... you have 2 years from the date you get that CBT certificate.... why rush, enjoy it

why 500cc when i have a A licence.. because it felt better. was never 100% happy riding the CB650F, but got used to it as i needed too. My instructors where brilliant and even said that i should get the bike i want... so i did some test fittings and test rides and decided for the type of riding im gonna be doing the cb500f was the one for me...never looked back, 1000miles so far, and thats with 3 weeks of not riding in the timeframe....

dont rush... you'll regret it

Some great replies to thi head, thanks guys! Especially from tc1474.

It's slightly odd as so many people slate 125s and say they aren't powerfully enough to ride well (think stopping distances etc) but then most say to gain experience on them. I'm just worried a 125 cc won't be powerful enough to carry my 18 stone. I guess it only needs to get me around town.

It's slightly odd as so many people slate 125s and say they aren't powerfully enough to ride well (think stopping distances etc) but then most say to gain experience on them. I'm just worried a 125 cc won't be powerful enough to carry my 18 stone. I guess it only needs to get me around town.

Those that say a 125 are not powerful enough are talking rubbish.

I used to regularly potter around on one of my school 125's for various reasons, and I am 6 feet 5 tall and at that time around 22 - 23 stone (I am now 17 stone) and they carried me without any problem.

They are not much fun on a Motorway, but as a Learner you will not be going on the motorway, but they are perfectly adequate on on normal A and B class roads

I am 15 stone and my 125 happily carries me around. It was my main form of transport for around 3 years until I got my car license and apart from on dual carriageways I never had a problem with traffic.

Still use it occasionally now even after getting car as there is next to no parking available at my work but thats not a problem for a bike :D

must get a full license one day though :oops:

People nearly always think they need more than they actually do.

More CC, more horse power, more space in the house, a faster PC... You get the idea :-)

125's are fine for most tasks :-)

125s are loads of fun :) I just feel a bit safer on the north circular having a bit of extra grunt but the intruder is a little gentler than a lot of 125s. Also it tends to die when stopping unless you keep the revs high :(

I did a cbt when I was 22 and apart from a quick outing on a bike I shouldn't be riding I didn't touch a bike until I done my das. So really I had no experience when I went for mine.

Respect is the biggest thing, you must respect a larger bike no matter what it is and take baby steps.

Within reason passing your test or meeting minimum required standard is easy but hen your out there all alone in real life situations that's where the learning starts

Edited by fq-craigus

I'm 14 stone, and while my other half is much smaller than me, I very much doubt she can weight 4 stone or less... So with our combined weight my CG frequently carries more than your 18 stone. My Chinese clone of a Suzuki Marauder also did about 1000 miles two-up without any great difficulty, and most of those times it was lugging basic camping gear too.

To echo what TC1474 said, anyone the rubbishes 125s is talking out of their arse. PhilYoung and myself both got our full licences nearly two years ago (correct me if I'm wrong Phil, think we passed around the same time), and his R1 and my GS are now both gathering dust for the winter while we have a bloody good laugh hooning around on a YBR and a CG :lol:

You guys have persuaded me lol. I think I need to get gain the experience first. For the next year or so I'll not need a bike to go on the motorway anyway.

Absolutely agree with TC and others. By all means go for a direct access but go with a school over several weeks. My instructor started me on 125 and I wasn't allowed on the 500 until HE thought I was ready. I bought a cheap chinese bike in a box to practise on for about 3 months and flogged it for a loss of £50 when I passed my test. The instructor also wouldn't take me to the test until he thought fit. Also got nagged into some post test further training with him, has kept me right side up most of the time.

I think the crash courses over 3-4 days are just that - courses to crash by. You might learn to pass the test but you cannot learn the bike control adequately in that time, nor the general roadcraft if you're not already a driver.

Its similar to the diving courses. I am an advanced diver, but I have dived with other divers who qualified in 1-2 days , usually with PADI, and have had to bring them up on my air when they got into trouble purely through inexperience. With PADI, you are taught the important stuff, then have to demonstrate in a pool that you can perform the safety routines, then go through them again in open water, but in controlled conditions, and you've passed. I trained with NAUI, and you have to have a minimum of 6 pool sessions, most of the time spent repeating the safety procedures again and again, so they become 2nd nature, because at 20 meters down you've only got seconds to recover if something goes wrong, and panic kills. Then comes 2 open water sessions before your test and you can get certified. BSAC are even stricter, can take up to 6 months I believe, but most divers would equate a basic BSAC qualification to better than a PADI advanced.

Sorry a bit off topic but some valid comparisons

I used to love ragging the 125 through the twisties! Once you get get a bigger bike, it's as much about self control as actual skill! 125's suck when there's a headwind though!