Engage gear, engine cuts out.

Throttled

The Kawasaki KLE500, same engine as the ER5 and GPZ500. It has happened before and the culprit was the side stand switch thinking the side stand was still down and so on engaging gear it cuts the engine. This time it started to do it as I was riding along and if I changed gear it cut out on engaging the new gear. Now I cannot get it to engage gear at all and I have disconnected the side stand switch. It starts and runs fine having just been serviced by me with no apparent issues. Any suggestions?

EDIT - by engaging gear I mean when I have selected a gear with my foot and then release the clutch with my hand it cuts out.

Edited by Throttled

Sticking sidestand switch possibly? Check the switch is clean and that it moves freely, from there check the clutch and neutral switch. Fault is almost certainly a safety interlock problem

So the bike won't select a gear whilst it's running?

You may have a deeper problem!

I definitely selects first gear as I can feel the clunk and slight jerk, but when I try and engage the gear by releasing the clutch that is when it cuts out.

ah so it won't engage a gear as you release the clutch

it just cuts out!!

I thought you meant it wont select gears at all!!

I would just disconnect the side stand switch and if it solves your problem then you are in the right area

it could be a furred up connection shorting out

I took the clutch switch off. It works fine, but was very dirty inside, so I cleaned it up. Then it started to rain, so I will refit tomorrow. I have also noticed that a cable tie has been put on so tightly round the handlebar it has cut into the cable sheathing leading from the switch. So maybe the wire has corroded inside.

• 3 weeks later...