What grease for swingarm bearings?

RantMachine

As mentioned in another thread, mine are utterly sodded. Ordering new ones tomorrow once I've checked if the linkage bearings needs changing too. The guys over at the F650 forum are big fans of using marine grease in the bearings and on the pivot, as far as I can tell from a few Google searches there are various types of marine grease and while the Honda stuff is meant to be the best going, I can't see anywhere local that sells it or online that doesn't look dodgy as hell :lol:

Any recommendations? Marine grease (specify a brand if you can) or otherwise? Don't want a repeat of everything rusting to hell and I plan to put this bike through some serious hell once it's back on the road so I want something heavy duty.

Cheers all!

Back to life again!

Cheers guys, I have some money left on the Halfords gift card I got for Christmas so I know what to spend it on now. Shame I can't also buy the £60 of bearings and other bits with my trade card...

Hi, once you've got the bearings out why not look up your local bearing suppliers instead of ordering factory replacements. My Bimota had a wheel bearing fail, on stripping the wheel down l found that they were fitted cheap Chinese bearings, this to a set of wheels that would of set you back well the wrong side of a Grand!! "me l recall was not happy" In the end l took the lot out and fitted top spec SKF bearings for not big money comparatively speaking, just a thought.

Lithium/moly grease will do. Just don't use the spray on stuff, always use a tub.

I believe lithium is found is most decent greases, as it acts as a base "soap" to hold the oil and additives. Alternatives include calcium and barium but they don't hold up as well.

Molybdenum is an additive in higher quality greases so I'd pick up a tub of that from Halfords on the basis the bike should always get the best!

Easiest little key to use is.

Metal on metal: Moly grease

Rubber on metal: Red rubber grease