Riding to Paris

Digzy

Hey guys, Been a while, I'm coming out of hibernation :up:

I fancy riding to France at the end of march, i got holiday booked, so why not.

I know you have to carry a hi vis and its advised you carry a breathalyzer, but not fine-able

Anything else i should know before i dump my ass on the ferry / tunnel.

This is also an invite if anyone wants to join, I dont really have a plan anymore, it was just paris but have been swayed off that idea, just a cool route with places to sleep, Ive got about 10 days off at the end of march, because why not! just want to enjoy a nice ride.

But yeah, Any tips? Anything i should know?

Edited by Digzy

Hi France has some fantastic roads if you have got time try and keep off the peage - auto route and seek the route national, The peage is by far quicker but so boring. Petrol is a lot more expensive on the peage so fill up locally.

Also you've got the toll charge to pay on the peage from Calais to Paris is - 290 km = € 12,80 toll for a bike each way.

Warning the police tend to hang out on roads leading to the ports so watch out for speed traps, don't get caught, or they will march you straight up to nearest cash point to hammer your account. Big chain and padlock required as with parking in any major city these days, suggest you try and find a hotel with secure parking. The French motorist in general are very courteous to the bikers, Paris is some experience to ride a bike in enjoy.

We went round the outskirts of Paris on route to somewhere else , traffic was terrible and its illegal to filter in France ...I'd avoid it on a bike .

.... I didnt know that it was illegal to filter, OK, so maybe just some mountains then. lol.

We went round the outskirts of Paris on route to somewhere else , traffic was terrible and its illegal to filter in France ...I'd avoid it on a bike .

.... I didnt know that it was illegal to filter, OK, so maybe just some mountains then. lol.

Yeh much better choice :thumb:

I always though filtering was illegal, seems a bit of a grey area, seems out there your committing other offences if you do it...

Found this..

MOTORBIKES filtering through traffic could be set to be legalised in France after a report for Interior Minister Manuel Valls suggested that it be allowed, under certain conditions.

Bikers and scooterists already filter through traffic queues – most notoriously and most dangerously on the Paris Périphérique and on busy motorways – but the report by prefect Régis Guyot has highlighted its usefulness in easing traffic jams and noted that there were few accidents.

Filtering is not expressly banned under any law but riding between lines of vehicles means bikers are committing three offences: Not keeping a proper distance on the road, passing on the right and changing lanes for no reason. The first two are classed as fourth-degree offences and offenders face losing three points from their licence and a €135 fine for each, and changing lanes can mean a €35 fine.

Now the report, which will be put to the Conseil National de la Sécurité Routière in February, has heard that although one in five road deaths involves a motorcyclist just 1% of fatal accidents takes place while filtering.

The motorcycle protest group Fédération Française des Motards en Colère has long campaigned that filtering – or la remontée de files - should be legalised and the government should encourage more people on to two wheels, where they take up less road-room than one person in a car.

If allowed, it will only be under certain conditions and Mr Guyot has said it should be on urban dual-carriageways but not in town. The speed differential between the bike and the other vehicles should not exceed 20kph and bikes can only filter in the left-hand zone. Flashing indicators are allowed, but not hazard lights while in motion

- See more at: http://www.connexionfrance.com/bikers-f ... LJgZx.dpuf

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, Been a while, I'm coming out of hibernation :up:

I fancy riding to France at the end of march, i got holiday booked, so why not.

I know you have to carry a hi vis and its advised you carry a breathalyzer, but not fine-able

Anything else i should know before i dump my ass on the ferry / tunnel.

This is also an invite if anyone wants to join, I dont really have a plan anymore, it was just paris but have been swayed off that idea, just a cool route with places to sleep, Ive got about 10 days off at the end of march, because why not! just want to enjoy a nice ride.

But yeah, Any tips? Anything i should know?

Just one thing to be aware of, if you are not wearing the Hi-Vis and you get stopped do not get off the Bike, let the plod come to you, then show him the jacket.

Also you need reflective strips on your helmet, front back and sides.

Also you need reflective strips on your helmet, front back and sides.

I believe thats only for residents and not visitors

No it is compulsory

http://ukfrancebikers.com/2013/03/16/fr ... l-helmets/

That article is from 2013.......I'm pretty sure they scrapped this idea.

When I was in Lyon last autumn plenty of bikes were filtering through the traffic and I don't remember seeing too many of them wearing hi viz either.......but maybe the AA or RAC may be able to supply definitive answers..... :wink:

I have tried searching for a definitive answer but all I get is its either law or law for residents!

But says nothing for visitors :?

its a bit conflicting

It really does need to be clarified

if you are going to ride round paris make sure your life insurance is up to date

Driven around Paris in a car, 6 Lane roundabout was the worst, had to come off and was on the inside of the roundabout, had to cross 6 lanes, just signalled and went for it and trusted the French were used to it, which they are, hesitate and you are dead meat.

This says if the hemet is bought in a EU country and conforms to the regs it is ok. If it is bought inFrance must have reflective strips.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guide ... ing/france

However the AA contradict this.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/to ... monaco.pdf

This says if the hemet is bought in a EU country and conforms to the regs it is ok. If it is bought inFrance must have reflective strips.

For the sake of a couple of quid on Amazon, not worth taking the chance, get some and stick em on, take off when you get back.

simply saying something on a website means nothing if they cant be bothered to add references.. so Brittany ferries say a helmet bought elsewhere in the EU is fine. but they don't point to the law or directive that says this. If France has granted an exception to visitors. then this fact should be accessible. Looks to me that they are just repeating hearsay. Or cant be bothered to actually dig further.. yes all helmets bought in the EU for road use are legal throughout the EU. but this doesnt answer the question on the specific french requirement.

The 'hearsay' evidence ive read is that this law (stickers) is only being enforced in the major cities. and you're far more likely to be stopped at night when the lack of stickers is fairly obvious. as for the more touristy areas away from the cities.. or close to the borders. No. The idea of the Germans.. or Italians, swiss and spaniards... or any and all other europeans deliberately defacing their helmets before visiting france is fairly laughable. and defacing is the right word as legally the stickers must be destructive.. to the helmet. if you try to remove them after a trip. once you apply them.. you're stuck with them (so to speak)

For the sake of a couple of quid on Amazon, not worth taking the chance, get some and stick em on, take off when you get back.

you cant take them off... the glue is so strong that they will ruin the finish of the helmet... thats part of the legal description, if they peel off.. then they're illegal.

simply saying something on a website means nothing if they cant be bothered to add references.. so Brittany ferries say a helmet bought elsewhere in the EU is fine. but they don't point to the law or directive that says this. If France has granted an exception to visitors. then this fact should be accessible. Looks to me that they are just repeating hearsay.

The 'hearsay' evidence ive read is that this law (stickers) is only being enforced in the major cities. and you're far more likely to be stopped at night when the lack of stickers is fairly obvious. as for the more touristy areas away from the cities.. or close to the borders. No. The idea of the Germans.. or Italians and spaniards deliberately defacing their helmets before visiting france is fairly laughable. and defacing is the right word as legally the stickers must be destructive.. to the helmet. if you try to remove them after a trip. once you apply them.. you're stuck with them (so to speak)

you cant take them off... the glue is so strong that they will ruin the finish of the helmet... thats part of the legal description, if they peel off.. then they're illegal.

I will let you know if they come off when I get back but it will be in the summer, Isopropyl Alcohol should get the glue off.

I will be putting them on unless there is no doubt that they are not required.

I go to France every year... and will not put these stickers on. however... I make a point of getting out of france as quickly as possible. 35 miles and Im out.

if I hear that the french police are lurking on the Avenue de france.. ready to pounce. I might change my mind. But I wonder about my companions.. some of whome have pretty glamorous helmets they don't want to ruin with stickers that cant be removed cleanly.

for years people have worried about adding stickers to helmets due to the solvents in the glue.. what is alchohol of not a solvent?

now just watch the thread get dragged off topic. (hindsight is a wonderful thing) http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/motobiker/beer.gif~original

Edited by Anonymous

what is alchohol of not a solvent?

http://juicebubble.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Alcohol-is-a-solution-black.png

I have that problem, the whiskey ran out last night.