Oil level

Invisible_Man

Hey,

When checking the oil on every bike and car I've had I've always kept the oil topped up to the max level. I've never had a problem..... In fact my car is just about to reach 120K and still going strong and the CB125 saw 45K before we sold it.

I was speaking to a guy at work who suggested this is bad for a bikes engine and the level should be kept between the lower and upper limits.

Personally I can't see it making much difference if any at all. Surely max means just that... The maximum amount of oil you should put in before your overfilling it.

What do you guys think?

IM

It depends on your engine. For some oil on max is not a good thing. Read your owner manual it will say where is the best level for your bike.

More car engines does not work well on oil max. I keep on all my car engines oil in the middle or little above it on 3/4.

For bikes I keep my bike on max. But if you put too much oil (above max limit) you can destroy the engine if it gets to the crankshaft.

You know when you have a good quality oil and the right level by the way engine sounds and works. That is pretty obvious.

Here is the best explanation about bike oil levels:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/08/09/as ... ne-damage/

It depends on your engine. For some oil on max is not a good thing. Read your owner manual it will say where is the best level for your bike.

More car engines does not work well on oil max. I keep on all my car engines oil in the middle or little above it on 3/4.

For bikes I keep my bike on max. But if you put too much oil (above max limit) you can destroy the engine if it gets to the crankshaft.

You know when you have a good quality oil and the right level by the way engine sounds and works. That is pretty obvious.

Surely the crankshaft runs in the oil anyway???

There is the danger of hydraulic lock if you have too much oil and it forces too much past the rings, a little too much will usually just be burnt off.

the only danger of having the oil at the max line is that at high RPM you can get a bit of blow by and oil in the air box as the crank case pressure pushes it up through the crank case breather

the only danger of having the oil at the max line is that at high RPM you can get a bit of blow by and oil in the air box as the crank case pressure pushes it up through the crank case breather

That was exactly the problem Yamaha had with the R1 on the IOM constant high RPM resulted with oil getting into the air box. Result Michael Dunlop walked away from R1

Surely the crankshaft runs in the oil anyway???

There is the danger of hydraulic lock if you have too much oil and it forces too much past the rings, a little too much will usually just be burnt off.

no the crank runs dry and is lubricated via oil galleries.

If the crank runs in oil it will froth up the oil and if too much froths up the oil pickup doesnt collect any oil to send round the engine and will kill it.

Normal cars and all bikes anywhere between min and max is where it needs to be, preferrably not so close to min. This will allow adequate oil being picked up and sent around the engine at the right rate.

However some performance cars mine included, without a baffled sump the oil level must be at least half way between the marks to prevent oil surge on hard cornering, as i done this on my car and starved the bottom end and i had to rebuild the motor