XJR1300 Oil light issue

NearOn

Hi all

I am hopefully getting another bike soon after selling mine. I'm pretty much decided on a second hand 2000 reg XJR1300, the one I am looking at has a slight issue. The seller said is common with XJRs, basically the oil light stays on all the time even though its topped up of oil. He says it is due to the oil sensor that has gone faulty and happens a fair bit with old XJR's. Has anyone else come across this? I have googled it and it does come up a bit about it. Apart from that it is sound.

Cheers

if its just the sensor t hen its easy to change tell him to change it before you buy it just for peace of mind as you really cant tell if there is engine fault or not oil pump could of gone or anything personally i wouldnt touch it but maybe im just being picky but for peace of mind unless the bike is very cheap as it could if it is more than just the sensor cost you an engine

Cheers both, will ask if he can sort it before I buy it. Its a bit cheaper than most are going for of that age but not drastically cheaper, spoke to him quite a bit and he seems a honest bloke (Know impossible to tell though). From what I have read it appears it happens quite a bit with them, apparently it has an oil level not pressure sensor which can go faulty as it corrodes.

Hmmm

I am going to retract my above post! now I have woke up a touch and read it properly :roll:

it is in fact a level sensor and not a pressure sensor and they are known for going occasionally

its the same system on my FJR

Yeah being an oil level sensor I'm not as concerned as I would be if was pressure sensor but be nice to get it sorted all the same. Not your fault Stu, I should of mentioned it in first post :D