Engine tools what tool is best to split the casing ?

Classickid21

Hello,

I have been browsing the web/youtube and there loads of different types of crank casing splitters, and crank pusher/pullers out there. When i popped on to flebay, there was a hand full of different pullers.i'm not sure if i would be buying the correct puller? Help please !!

I have this one watch 160648308412

And a harmonica puller

This would be the 3rd time rebuilding a bottom end on a 125, the two other times i was in a mechanical firm they had one, like the ebay item number luckly enough :).

I have rebuild many engines but with out having the tools im screwed

But this time i am not so please any help i would be truely greatful

Edited by Classickid21

You need to apply sudden, concussive force repeatedly to the outer walls of the casings to ease the bonded faces.

Hurl it against your garage wall a few times and it should give :thumb:

I am totally joking Classic.. Take it to a garage who already have the tools.

Many years ago as a 16year old lad, I regularly split two stroke engine cases apart. I don't remember using any specific tools.

Tapping the end of the crank and gently prising with a kitchen knife used to do it!

You do run a risk with damaging it that way but it rarely happens. It's more likely if you're more abusive with the old rubber mallet though :lol:

I got a generic set of pullers from ebay. Just remove all that you can before you split the cases in case bits go flying.

You will need a threaded puller for certain things though like the timing rotor. Best to tear the engine down and if anything looks like it needs special tools, then get them.

I split the cases on Moo's CBF to have a look at the gearbox and did it with no great difficulty. The most tedious part was scraping all the case glue off and reapplying it afterwards.

Many years ago as a 16year old lad, I regularly split two stroke engine cases apart. I don't remember using any specific tools.

Tapping the end of the crank and gently prising with a kitchen knife used to do it!

Lol haha :lol:

Nnoooooooooooooooo

You will blunt the axe. Then you won't be able to split anything. :wink:

*Nods sagely*

You are indeed, the voice of reason!

Ok Classic. Back to hurling it at the garage wall I think... :thumb:

many times i have used block of wood and a soft mallet to work the casings open and if you look around them on some of the older 2 strokes they actually had indents in the crankcases which were pry points

Thank you for the tip :)

Nnoooooooooooooooo

You will blunt the axe. Then you won't be able to split anything. :wink:

*Nods sagely*

You are indeed, the voice of reason!

Ok Classic. Back to hurling it at the garage wall I think... :thumb:

Lol no help it went though the wall and split in 3 pieces ;) ;)

Just joking, found a cheap donor as a back up ;)

Go to top of a multi story and drop it, I know it's similar to gin's suggestion, but it's easier to drop than throw it! Can't guarantee that you'll be able to put it back together after, but it'll certainly split the cases, probably won't need to undo any bolts either. :mrgreen:

Go to top of a multi story and drop it, I know it's similar to gin's suggestion, but it's easier to drop than throw it! Can't guarantee that you'll be able to put it back together after, but it'll certainly split the cases, probably won't need to undo any bolts either. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :roll: :wink: :stupid: