Whirring noise from front end.

Westbeef

Hi

Over the past couple of days (since I took her on a 100 mile trip) my bike has started making a whirring noise from the front end. It only starts at 30-40 and it sounds like it's only there when I come off the throttle. It could always be there but I can't hear it over the engine. It disappears below 20 mph. Any ideas what it could be? Is it likely to be the bearings at the front??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grinding and whiring noise sometimes you can feel movement in them

if you lift the wheel sometimes the feel notchy

it could also be the pads rubbing on the discs

I might change the bearings to be sure, they've probably never been done (5800 miles) and they're £5 each. Is it quite simple to remove the front wheel and knock the bearings out?

yeah they just knock out

but at 5k they should be fine!

Ok i've had a proper check - I should have done this first. The brakes are catching, I can hear it when I spin the front wheel. It didn't do this at first so It's somehow developed over the weekend.

Ignore me, looks like thats been mentioned. The op ahowed but no replys

Yeah I looked properly when checking bearings for play and it's the brakes :) rubbing.

Could be the caliper pistons sticking.......may need a caliper rebuild..... :wink:

Ignore me, looks like thats been mentioned. The op ahowed but no replys

Yeah I looked properly when checking bearings for play and it's the brakes :) rubbing.

Could be the caliper pistons sticking.......may need a caliper rebuild..... :wink:

I'm going to have a look Friday after work and give them a good clean. Hopefully it will sort the issues out :).

Thanks for the help fellas I cleaned them up with my dad today everything moving nice and freely. All the seals are fine and it looks like I need some new pads as they've been wearing unevenly so I've ordered some. The wheels spins freely with a little rubbing and I can still hear the noise at speed so I'm assuming what I can hear is normal and I'll see if the new pads changes anything. I don't know if it's just me being over cautious and the sound is nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk