Advertising company given access to 1.6 million NHS patient records

aleyj

As internet search history has already been used to prove a correlation between drugs that have negative effects when used together, I don't mind this.

I just also believe that we need a far better data warehouse that hosted by the NHS in house to be able to more easily compare information and patients records.

The headline suggests that personal details have been given out, and will be available via Google. But that's not the case . They are using Google deep mind AI to mine the data and look for patterns to detect kidney issues.

Plus the data is encrypted and anonymised so only Google can use it and even then it doesn't identify anyone.

I'd rather Google held it than the failing NHS IT systems!!

Google are experts at dealing with large amounts of data.

Who cares that they are an advertising company - even if they could identify me (which I bet the probably could do if they really wanted to based on appointment times and geographical location of my smart phone, search history ect) what would they try to sell me based on the data??

Who cares that they are an advertising company - even if they could identify me (which I bet the probably could do if they really wanted to based on appointment times and geographical location of my smart phone, search history ect) what would they try to sell me based on the data??

Life insurance :wink:

Not sure I'm happy having my medical details held by a foreign international company, on a database held somewhere around the globe, where those details could be used anywhere, and possibly subject to differing privacy laws, without being consulted!

Not sure I'm happy having my medical details held by a foreign international company....

Unless you're a patient at the Royal Free Hospital in NW3. and other hospitals within that particular trust.

They aren't.

Not sure I'm happy having my medical details held by a foreign international company....

Unless you're a patient at the Royal Free Hospital in NW3. and other hospitals within that particular trust.

They aren't.

do you think it's unlikely to get extended to other trusts? :3some:

who can say.

This is being done because a group of doctors within that particular trust wanted it done.. for a very specific reason. Doctors take patient confidentiality extremely seriously. I doubt theres mass panic at that trust. but.. it makes a great story and the originator of the blog that reported it in the first post.. well he's someone who has 'paranoia' as a middle name. Or at least thats how he comes across. it seems more about treating google as public enemy number 1. I reckon theres probably more to this story than is being let on.. and its probably not as interesting as it appears.

This is bullshit. Legislation governs the storage of Patient Identifiable Data (PID), and the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC, now renamed NHS Digital) set strict rules about its storage and usage. All organisations accessing the NHS network (N3) or processing PID must complete a compliance audit process called the Information Governance Statement of Compliance (IGSoC) which details what technical and process security is in place, and the data must by law be held in the UK.

Either the data has been anonymised, or its being treated in accordance with IG SoC and UK law.

Anything else simply wouldn't be legal, and there's no escaping the law.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk