Cb500s problems.

EthanKing

Hi guys, last night I pulled the restrictor washers from the carbs on my 02 cb500s and when then she would just about tick over and wouldn't take any revs without dying. I put the washers back in and it struggled to fire up but ran perfectly for a half a mile before loosing all power and cutting out. As it is now, it's ticking over with half choke. Any more or less and it stalls. I have checked for kinks in the fuel lines.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure it's only the washers but I put them back in so it should be back to the way it was. It's now ticking over and revving without choke but when I put on the choke fully it instantly dies. Can't take it for a spin as I'm at work but I'm confident it will die. EAB, I just noticed on the bottom of the tank there are 2 ports that don't connect to the fuel tap, a thin one and a thick one. The thick one has no pipe on it and the thin one goes to the top of the carbs but it's split so I pulled it off the tank and left it connected to the carbs. I'm guessing it's a vaccum?

The vacuum connection is what opens the fuel tap diaphragm. It needs to connect to a connection on the cylinder head inlet stub or the carb rubber. No connection, no fuel and sucking in air.

There is a fuel line on the tap, and a vaccum from the tap to the cylinder head. Over on the other side of the tank there are 2 ports, the thicker one has no pipe on it at all and the thin one going to the top of the carbs which is split and I removed from tank. Sorry I can't take any pics right now I can imagine it's really hard to picture without seeing what I'm talking about.

Hhhmmm it seems I made a mistake last night. The pipe that split ( looks like a vaccum coming from top of carbs ) is now removed from the port on the tank and the bike is ticking over and taking revs perfect. I will take it for a spin on my lunch break and see how it rides.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160505/ed2f6ba07b91a1a9e1e58ce00b6970d0.jpg

They are the two ports on the tank that I don't have connected to anything. The fuel tap then has a fuel line and vaccum.

You will run out of fuel if you ride without a vacuum connection to the tank.

Why do you ask for advice and then ignore it???

Woah sorry dude I thought you were talking about the vaccum coming from the fuel tap? (Which I have connected)

The only place for the small port to connect in that picture is the top of the carbs beside my throttle cable. Would that be right?

The bigger port in that picture doesn't seem to have been connected to anything.

You will run out of fuel if you ride without a vacuum connection to the tank.

Why do you ask for advice and then ignore it???

Whoa Alan......He wasn't ignoring advice as far as I can see.

Those ports on the bottom of the tank should be overflow drain and vent. Ordinarily they should have pipes on them that go to the bottom of the bike.

With your problem it sounds like fuel starvation or a blocked air filter......check your fuel line doesn't have any kinks in it and check your air filter.....and see where you go from there..... :wink:

Thanks Tango, so I don't need any pipes on those two ports for it to run right? I'll check both of those after work. I got a length of hose to replace any perished ones. I'm pretty sure the carbs are seated fully into both the diaphragms and airbox. The thing that I'm leaning towards now is the thin tube coming out the top of the carbs which I have leading nowhere now, I'll get pics as soon as I can but it's coming out from the rail between the two carbs and my fuel line is going into the bottom rail between the carbs.

Sorry if I misunderstood your meaning. Are you saying that there is now a vacuum connection between the engine/carbs and your fuel tap? The other tube from your carbs could be a breather and doesn't need connecting to anything.

The vaccum from the fuel tap is around 2-3mm ID and the one in question on the carbs is 5mm ID so must be a breather then. Cheers. Next update will be when I check the air filter and fuel line.

Will do thanks. No problem mate :) worst thing is that this is my daily driver I have no other means of transport :/ should have left well enough alone lol

I double and triple checked everything after work and it's still really low on power, won't go past 80km/h and takes ages to get there. Ashamed to say I have given up and a lad from the club is going to have a look at it Sunday. He said he will balance the carbs for me. Could that solve the problem?

Yeah hopefully. He's taking it tomorrow and I'll get it back Sunday. Thanks for the help guys much appreciated!

That guy couldn't take my bike until next week. I was riding home from work today full throttle to keep it at 80km/h and after a few splutters I suddenly had full power :D the smile on my face could have cracked my visor lol. Took it out the bypass then and I have 100% full power until I hit 120km/h where it starts stuttering and won't go any faster. It used to do 140km/h with no stuttering at all.

I'm guessing I had a clogged jet or something and it's still a bit clogged?