Top box and Chain

Hi all,

As per my previous post, you will probably know that I´m looking to buy a new tracer in a not so nice city.

I wanted to ask you more about how you guys carry a 16mm chain in the bike. I was aiming for a 1,5m or 2m 16 mm pragmasis protector.

I know it can be on a tail bag or on the top box. any other ideas?

If in the top box do you just just chuck it in or do you actually put it in something else something?

I´m scared that if I just leave it on the top box it could destabilise the bike in a turn. How does it feel in a tail bag? any recommendation for tail bags.

Cheers,

I put my 13mm pragmasis chain in a waterproof bag (those stuff sack rucksacks things) and bungee it to the rear of the seat. The 1.5m length chain and padlock weights in at around 5kg, which I find noticeable in the top box of my bike. This could be because my bike only weights 100kg... and/or becuse the box sticks out a lot from the centre of gravity when I am riding. Strapped to the seat however, I don't even notice the weight is there.

As for length of chain, definitely 2m+. My bike is tiny and I still sometimes have issues getting it close enough to get the 1.5m chain around something and through the bike.

The noose link from pragmasis looks to be very handy for longer chain lengths.

Don't often carry a hefty chain, but when I have done it goes loose in the top box and yes, I've noticed it a bit at slow speeds. If there is a solution with a lower centre of gravity, I'd go for that instead.

• 2 weeks later...
Curious to know what their reasoning for that is? I do it all the time - chain is in the bag in the seat. [attachment=0]IMG_20150623_093401.jpg[/attachment]

A bag fixed.. or strapped to the pillion seat is not the same as a tail pack. a tail pack is essentially a soft 'top box' and its normally fitted off the end of the pillion seat on its own little frame or the bikes own rack.. assuming it has one.

a seat is designed to carry a heavy weight.. like a passenger. so a heavy chain is nothing. The important thing is the chain doesnt move. it must be securely held in place so there is no chance of it shifting as you go round a corner. for instance.

a tail pack.. or top box. is something else entirely. these are not designed to carry heavy weights.. most have a maximum thats just a few Kilos. The main reason the maximum weight is so low is usually because the mounting hardware and mounting point just aren't strong enough.and/or a heavy weight at the very back of the bike might upset the handling. especially if this heavy weight were to shift as you go round a corner. This movement within the case can also produce extra stresses and strains on the mount and its conceivable that the case could break off. and go bouncing down the road. Top boxes arent suitable for transporting heavy chains. Tail packs.. even less so.

I bought the Almax chain in 2005 at the NEC show I think in Ally Pally and due to the weight of it had to keep it at home whilst using the terrible oxford chains for when I was out and about.

I only heard about the Pragmasis chains a couple of weeks ago from someone else on here who recommended them and then clicked on the link that they put and had look at their website and saw the 13mm chain and wondered if it would fit in my seat compartment so to be sure I rode from London on a sunday afternoon and went and visited Steve at his house and tried various different lengths of the chains and even tried the 16mm but that wouldnt fit lol

If Almax had a 13mm chain and it was the same quality as this and it was cheaper I would be over it like a shot but currently they dont so I was all over Pragmasis 13mm chain like a shot

Curious to know what their reasoning for that is? I do it all the time - chain is in the bag in the seat. [attachment=0]IMG_20150623_093401.jpg[/attachment]

Is that your chain in a tail bag? or just a tail bag?

Also is that a kriega?

A bag fixed.. or strapped to the pillion seat is not the same as a tail pack. a tail pack is essentially a soft 'top box' and its normally fitted off the end of the pillion seat on its own little frame or the bikes own rack.. assuming it has one.

a seat is designed to carry a heavy weight.. like a passenger. so a heavy chain is nothing. The important thing is the chain doesnt move. it must be securely held in place so there is no chance of it shifting as you go round a corner. for instance.

a tail pack.. or top box. is something else entirely. these are not designed to carry heavy weights.. most have a maximum thats just a few Kilos. The main reason the maximum weight is so low is usually because the mounting hardware and mounting point just aren't strong enough.and/or a heavy weight at the very back of the bike might upset the handling. especially if this heavy weight were to shift as you go round a corner. This movement within the case can also produce extra stresses and strains on the mount and its conceivable that the case could break off. and go bouncing down the road. Top boxes arent suitable for transporting heavy chains. Tail packs.. even less so.

Hi, thanks for all this info. I mean a pillion seat bag, I will have a top box, but that's for other stuff. I have already been told that it can be carried on the top box but it could get dangerous with all the shifting.

Any way to fix it to the top box for when I carry my wife?

Cheers,