Anyone know anything about the Audi A4 1.9 TDI?

Phooey

Ok guys, a bit of car trouble. Took car in to have air con re-gassed and he managed it no problem. No keaks but he said that there was an electrical fault somewhere because the compressor wasn't kicking in. Now he is on hols for two weeks and can't look at it till he gets back and puts his computer on it to find the faults.

Is there anything I could look at to try to identify the problem? I want this to be sorted ... too hot withoutthe aircon!

is the econ light on all the time?

is it the B6 model? 01-05 ish

Yes Stu it is the B6 02 plate and the econ light has gone off now the gas has been recharged, unless I put it on of course.

and still no aircon!

usually electrical faults cause the econ light to stay on too

a good way to check if the compressor and clutch is working is when you press the econ button you should hear the compressor/clutch engaging

with the engine idling press the econ and listen for a slight change in engine noise and usually a slight rattle as the clutch engages on the compressor

also the hot and cold air flaps are known for playing up

you need it all checking via VCDS really

Check both cooling fans work, most common, either one down it won't work. Euro car prats do a direct replacment

Also the pumps are crap, the run permanently but they have a regulator that fails it works on a wave signal so you need an oscilloscope to test. They don't have a clutch like most air con systems. Again euro car prats have good deal on the pumps at the moment.

you will find it will be a viscous fan on one side and an electric fan on the other

and they certainly do have a clutch on them as mine failed when I owned one :wink:

but the fan has just reminded me there is a control unit on the fan where the wires corrode and easily break

although when mine went the air con still worked just not as good especially when stood still

Check fuses .

Fuses fine ... those were checked when re-gasses.

Thanks for all the other suggestions ... some of it went over my head but with the manual I'll see if I can narrow it down. The gass man was talking about compressor prob needs changing and hundreds of pounds. Does that sound right?

Ok, so I started engine and on tickover pressed the ECON button. Nothing. I heard nothing different at all. Did it a few times just incase I was missing something so decided that it must be that the compressor is not kicking in.

I got out my trusty Haynes manual and looked up the compressor and the first thing I read was 'as no clutch is fitted to the air conditioning compressor (the compressor operates continuously) do not operate the engine if it is known to be short of refrigerant, as this will damage the compressor.'

Since I have no idea how long the refrigerant has been empty, I am assuming that the compressor is shagged :( I will have to get it hooked up to the computer so I assume this will confirm the compresssor is either knackered or I'm talking out of my arse!

Most diagnostics can't diagnose the faulty pump

Techs experience and testing all other components rules out everthing until it can only be the pump

When you had it regas'd, did you get the print out?

Most diagnostics can't diagnose the faulty pump

Techs experience and testing all other components rules out everthing until it can only be the pump

When you had it regas'd, did you get the print out?

yes but it means nothing to me! Don't understand what it all means.

Have a look what fans are fitted to yours

you should have a viscous fan and an electric one

the viscous will turn all the time this is for normal cooling the electric is for the air con

when you have the air con on the electric fan should come on!

Have a look what fans are fitted to yours

you should have a viscous fan and an electric one

the viscous will turn all the time this is for normal cooling the electric is for the air con

when you have the air con on the electric fan should come on!

Yes ther are two ... the viscous fan which is driven by the belt is running when the engine is running. Theother fan does not come on when I press the ECON button.

the econ light needs to be off and the temp turned down low for the aircon to be fully on and the fan should be running with it set like that

Econ light off and set down to LO ... fan still not running.

I don't know if the fan will work if the pump is screwed

but I do know the fan controller module which is attached to the cowling of the fan is known for electrical issues

the main wires can break off but the air con will still work although not very good when sat still

once you get the car moving and some air flow the air con works

I am guessing you have driven it around after the regas? and still no air con

I hope that whatever the problem is is that its stopping the fan coming on otherwise you may have two issues

stupid question time! there is a belt on the compressor isn't there? I have known people to remove them to "save fuel"

I hope that whatever the problem is is that its stopping the fan coming on otherwise you may have two issues

stupid question time! there is a belt on the compressor isn't there? I have known people to remove them to "save fuel"

lol ... yeah belt is driving the compressor. I think the compressor is possibly shagged because of what I read in the book. Hope the fan isn't knackered too. Is that what you're thinking?