Security chain alternatives – mooring chain?

I’m always looking to save a few quid where I can (thrift is my middle name). I understand that Almax and Pragmasis chain are the best but come with a hefty price tag. I could pick up some 16mm galvanised mooring chain for around £16 a metre.

I would only be looking to use these on days during the winter when I don’t fancy taking the bike and its left at home. Other than tha overnight it is parked in front of two cars and there is no possible way it could be taken unless:

a) They hire a crane.

b) They steal both cars first

So I’m wondering if mooring chain would be sufficient? I have an anchor it would be looped around but I would need about 2.5 – 3 metres to have plenty to play with.

Ready to be shot down in flames if this is a stupid idea but just looking for cheaper alternatives.

Thanks

Other than tha overnight it is parked in front of two cars and there is no possible way it could be taken unless:

a) They hire a crane.

b) They steal both cars first

:lol: :lol:

if you think that will stop them then you need to think again!

I have known bikes to be lifted over cars in a garage before

Never think its safe just because something is in front of it

That goes to show if they want it they WILL get it no matter what you do

I have often thought of a large mooring chain as if the links are big enough they can't crop it

Point taken but I’m not so sure they it could be moved, even with my over-cautious paranoia I can’t see how they would move the bike, could knock down the side of two houses either side of the bike I guess, bit noisy though. Hope I’m never proved wrong. Believe me its a PITA to move with no cars in the way!! :D

Still need a chain though, need to measure up later.

A good quality mooring chain will cost you a lot. Even the small gauge yacht stuff. You can buy cheap but that is what it's made of, cheap and weak.

the size is no good if you can cut through it with a butter knife :)

Although thieves use croppers more than anything and if they have croppers they will have a battery powered angle grinder

at the end of the day they are going to take it if they want it

Its opportunist thieves you need to stop and the cheap chains are good enough as they will see the chain and just move to an easy target

any lock and chain is breakable with the right tools and enough time

A Cheap chain and a disc lock are probably good enough, unless you've got a bike worth a fair whack it's not worth the trouble to the majority of thieves. Also a cover helps as it will more than likely go unnoticed if it's covered.

Monetary value is not huge but still my bike. Think I will go cheaper chain and lock route. Already have an anchor to chain it to and a cover. I guess like you say if they want it they will get it. My mate has a speed triple and only uses a bicycle lock on it.