Advice on work/jobs

NearOn

Wondering whether to have a complete career change? Anyone know of anything where don't have to start on apprentice wage, can't afford to do that with a family, also at 32 I'm probs too old anyway for an apprentice!

I used to feel like that, so I changed industry, similar role just different things in the boxes.

The two industries are a world apart even though I'm doing pretty much the same thing, the outlook and attitude of my seniors in my current role is just 'different' and it really makes a difference.

What industry did you move into? Think I have come to the realization the NHS is not the industry I want to stay in, especially when comes to the management side of it.

In my industry a lot of the engineers are time-served apprentices......Therefore it's a fairly aging workforce with a good number heading very quickly towards retirement........and barely a degree between them! But the majority of them are extremely good, practical engineers.......With a wealth of knowledge that will sadly disappear in the not-to-distant future. ...... :shock:

Anyway.....back to NearOn's dilemma......what sort of things float your boat mate?.......The most rewarding jobs are the ones you enjoy doing.....so turning that around, what sort of things do you enjoy that could offer work? And what sort of training would be required......and are there companies that would offer this training as part of your personal development? Some companies actually prefer people with little previous experience of the job, so they can be trained more easily on the company's specific products. Make a list of possible jobs that you'd like to do and then have a look on Jobsite, or any of the other job sites and see if there's anything of interest...... :wink:

Work wise I am not sure anymore. I guess out of the jobs I have had since graduating the most enjoyable job, as in the workload, was more direct involvement in patient care so maybe Ill try looking in that direction. It was fortunate that the team was really good to work in too. Looking back I wish I had not left that job but that's life.

I do know something and that is the degree I did isn't the route I want to go down which was Management. Obviously I have found this out the hard way but if I was true to myself I would admit I knew it was never the way I wanted to go. I did the degree at the time because I thought University was the right next step and I had no idea what to do and chose that. So for anyone considering university really think about what you want to do and really make sure it will lead to what you enjoy e.g a doctor, I.T, engineer etc etc.

I always wanted to be a Police Officer but due to issue with eyes that wasn't possible. So that leaves enjoyment in motorbikes, music, film, sports and technology.

Thanks for all the responses by the way, good to see it got lots of different views and experiences.

I

If i want a different job i normally just go and help on a day off, they either apprieciate the help and offer some work or tell you straeight.

My experience of unexpectedly volunteering at lap dancing establishments and the local A&E department indicates they are unreceptive to such guestures

I had a big career change in my 30s as I was bored of what I was doing. I figured that as I was likely to work until my late 60s might as well do something that I enjoyed as money isn't everything. I had to make a few sacrifices at first and go back to Uni in the evenings while I was working full time but soon worked my way up. I'm pretty thick so it shows that anyone can do it if you put your mind to it...

Good luck - hope you find your dream job! :thumb:

I don't have a degree!

I/my family simply couldn't afford for me to go to uni!

I had to get a job at 16 like it or not.

I got an electrical apprenticeship but no job at the end of it so I joined the Army and re-trained

as an Instrument Technician. I took redundancy after 12 years, did some agency driving as a stop-gap

then got a job maintaining automotive production lines.

The company I worked for got a new contract maintaining a foundry then went bust!

I was "lucky" enough to be asked to stay at the foundry.

I absolutely hate my job! always have done and it's getting worse!

still, only another 14 years and the Government might let me retire! :lol:

My point is that, if you get the chance to do a job that you might actually enjoy

and circumstances allow, you should go for it! It doesn't happen often

I don't have a degree!

Same here Ian......that's the way it was.

In retrospect I'd probably have got slung out from Uni anyway for wild behaviour.

I don't have a degree!

In retrospect I'd probably have got slung out from Uni anyway for wild behaviour.

Wild behaviour is the only reason I went to uni!

Nobody parties quite as hard as a whole bunch of teenagers living away from home for the first time with cheap booze on tap..

What industry did you move into? Think I have come to the realization the NHS is not the industry I want to stay in, especially when comes to the management side of it.

I

I've moved into telecoms, still within supply chain/logistics (I'm a forecaster/analyst), the majority of my experience is in retail (fmcg) but redundancy initially forced me into healthcare (orthopaedics) and a brief spell in another fmcg manufacturing environment (which was truly awful) before moving here, all of the roles have been along the same theme, the only difference has been the company and the people I have worked with/for and tbh they are the ones that make or break a place of work in my opinion.

doesn't really matter what you do, but if you are doing it with/for a great set of people, you are likely to enjoy it!!

doesn't really matter what you do, but if you are doing it with/for a great set of people, you are likely to enjoy it!!

There's a lot in this. About 10 years I had a whole series of jobs that I really hated and I thought seriously about changing career: plumber, teacher, doctor, I looked at them all. Now I'm still doing pretty much the same job and I'm lucky in that I enjoy what I do. The difference is working people you can have a laugh with.

I don't have a degree!

Nobody parties quite as hard as a whole bunch of teenagers living away from home for the first time with cheap booze on tap..

My shit went way past that Joe!

I don't have a degree!

And heres me doing the boring part and missing all the fun :( :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I

I've moved into telecoms, still within supply chain/logistics (I'm a forecaster/analyst), the majority of my experience is in retail (fmcg) but redundancy initially forced me into healthcare (orthopaedics) and a brief spell in another fmcg manufacturing environment (which was truly awful) before moving here, all of the roles have been along the same theme, the only difference has been the company and the people I have worked with/for and tbh they are the ones that make or break a place of work in my opinion.

Oddly telecoms is one of the areas I have looked at and researched what sort of role might interest me. I initially thought I would like to be outdoors more rather than stuck in an office but to start on around 10k a year for an apprentice engineer which is closed now anyway for recruiting wouldent be possible with a family to support. Ill certainly look out to see if could transfer my current skills to a position in telecoms.

There's a lot in this. About 10 years I had a whole series of jobs that I really hated and I thought seriously about changing career: plumber, teacher, doctor, I looked at them all. Now I'm still doing pretty much the same job and I'm lucky in that I enjoy what I do. The difference is working people you can have a laugh with.

That is one major thing lacking in my current job, they really are on a completely different wave length to me, I cant go into too much detail just yet as never know who is on here but if I do get another job I can explain more. Some potential avenues have arisen which Ill follow up, certainly despite another crap day I do feel more positive as reminded myself I always do my best and work hard and I can transfer that anywhere.

Too many degrees have ruled me out of most jerbz since I quit teaching, wish I had spent time doing something I loved instead. Which now I am. The money is crap but the hours are awesome and I never have to attend a single meeting. For example, this week I'm spending every morning training on the village field - because I can. No other job has ever given me that freedom. Do what your heart tells you to, there's no cul-de-sac in life.

I did a degree in a borderline useless subject, somehow managed to get a job out of it (after a few years in retail), and then started retraining as something almost equally useless! Not many options with my general lack of competence or marketable skills :lol:

Remember that doing what you love is great and all but if what you love happens to come with low pay and minimal job security then you might just be trading one load of grief for another. Work to live not live to work, for certain! Don't undervalue the importance of having a job that lets you consistently afford a quality of life you're happy with, even if the work is a bit poop.

Now on the topic of poop... where do we sign up for those dog shit sculpting jobs that Joe85 mentioned? That sounds like the next logical career progression for me :lol:

Too many degrees have ruled me out of most jerbz since I quit teaching, wish I had spent time doing something I loved instead. Which now I am. The money is crap but the hours are awesome and I never have to attend a single meeting. For example, this week I'm spending every morning training on the village field - because I can. No other job has ever given me that freedom. Do what your heart tells you to, there's no cul-de-sac in life.

No meetings???? What is this line of work!!! I'm in!!

I'm willing to put up with bit of poop for better paid work but currently I'm losing lots of sleep over current job, I feel pretty depressed about it all. I'm struggling to switch off from the work and the people I work with. It's a professional level of wage so is basically the wage you would get as a new qualified Physio or Nurse so isn't anything major, 23k. I used to be on 21k with less responsibility and much nicer people to work with.

I've certainly learnt recently the increase I'd get for doing next step as a manager isn't worth the extra hassle in current setting.

Don't worry, I left school without even sitting my GCSE's. I get paid for doing what I do regardless of work, I'm a falconer, even on my days off I'm still flying birds. Getting paid for it is cool though. I started young and despite getting fired hundreds of times I just turned up at work the next day and kept grafting. There was never an idea of anything else other than working with birds. I also have a decent flexible boss so my work hours are good too, no really early mornings for me (except breeding season but that's a whole different ball game)

Basically go for what you want regardless of what anyone says.