RST Paragon V clothing

Apparently if I want to ride a motorbike, I need to go clothes shopping too. I want to try and get just one jacket/trouser set to use all year round (to start with - I've seen all the comments about accumulating more biking clothes than you know how to store, but need to minimise initial outlay!), and thought that a textile set with waterproof outers would be preferable to relying on a separate waterproof layer inside, as some jackets seem to do. While I want to be dry too, having a sodden outer jacket doesn't seem ideal! Goretex is going to be well beyond my budget, which is probably around £350 for the two.

I saw the RST Paragon V set today which looked quite good for what I think I want, and came in at £360. Seen a few posts on here about the Paragon IVs, which seem well thought of, but anyone with experience with the Vs? Are they likely to be properly waterproof?

The jacket seemed to fit fine as just a shell over a t-shirt, or with the liner and over a jumper too, so plenty of options with the one size for the different seasons. Hopefully it'll fit well over a work shirt too.

The trousers fit well on their own (with and without liner), but I'm also interested in looking to get perhaps trousers I can wear over normal trousers, so that I can just take off the outer layers rather than have to get changed when arriving at work etc.

The issue here is that the next size up just didn't fit right over the jeans I had on today, and were really baggy around the knees with the pads not in the right place. I haven't tried on many trousers yet to be fair, but do many commuters wear work trousers under their biking ones? Should I keep trying to find a pair that do this, or just accept a need to get changed at my destination?

Sorry if I'm asking lots of stupid questions, but I have fairly specific criteria I'm hoping to meet and there seem to be so many options that I'm not quite sure where to start!

You've answered some questions with the problems you're trying to resolve.

Why so much kit - different situations

Riding winter gear in summer you will soon be buying another set.

Don't forget, on certain bikes your leg position will be such that knee pad placement and leg length are very different on the bike to standing.

I'm on a sports bike so ordered the next size up, standing up they're far too long and knee pads too low. On the bike however they're perfect.

Your and your bikes dimensions may change this though, so I guess I'm saying try not to take it standing up, experiment on a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good points.

Probably need to just get winter-biased stuff to start then, and accept the inevitable additions when the sun returns!

The shop where I tried on the Paragon stuff had a bike-shaped frame thing to sit on when trying on clothes, but as you say it'll still very between bikes.

I've got the paragon iv set and I really like it, re the knee armour - what Phil said - i thought it sat too low for me but once on the bike it was perfect. You need to try the trousers on with your bike boots as well, for me having my boots holds the armour in pretty much the correct position even off the bike.

I've been in a number of heavy downpours and they've kept me dry. I dono how the vents on the v are compared with the iv but when it gets very hot the vents didn't help much at all, but there are more cold days than warm anyway!

My only complaint is that the sleeves are designed for the gloves to be worn on the outside, but as the sleeves are slightly too long for me that doesn't work but the sleeves are a bit on the narrow side for fitting gloves on the inside. I've just about mastered it now tho and can get my gloves on and sleeves done up by myself! Obvs tho this does limit what gloves I can wear with the jacket, no handroids for me! My oh has the rst adventure jacket and the sleeves are fine for him to wear with gloves on the outside :roll:

if you are interested in gear for 365days - the rst pro adventure kit is similar in style to the paragon, tho the waterproof layer is seperate worn underneath, but it has zip down panels on the front and BIG vents on the back (also removable sleeves tho personally i can't imagine ever wanting to remove sleeves) and I think extra vents in the trousers compared with the paragon. Bit more expensive than the paragon tho I think

I have the RST Paragon V jacket and found it to be totally waterproof in some really really heavy rain. I have had the trousers also, these were not totally waterproof and leaked around the crotch four way cross over seam. I have since bought the Furygan Trekker trousers which have one piece at the crotch so no cross over seam and are waterproof.

Hope that helps.

I have the RST Paragon V jacket and found it to be totally waterproof in some really really heavy rain. I have had the trousers also, these were not totally waterproof and leaked around the crotch four way cross over seam. I have since bought the Furygan Trekker trousers which have one piece at the crotch so no cross over seam and are waterproof.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Do the Furygan trousers zip into the Paragon jacket? Do/could you wear them over normal trousers?

I have the Adventure trousers, bit more expensive than Paragon, but never had these leak. I wear them over normal trousers for the commute into work. Bought with this in mind so wore normal works trousers when trying on. Thicker stuff jeans etc are too bulky for me.

They do run pretty warm in the summer and to get the best out of the vents you need to remove the waterproof lining!

Just need to get the matching jacket now.

• 3 weeks later...

Think I'm pretty set on the Paragon V stuff now. As I want to be nice and visible for commuting I'm thinking of the light coloured set, but am a little concerned that I'll look well out of place dressed like this when not riding a R1200GS the length of Africa and standing up at every opportunity! :lol:

rst_pro_series_paragon_v_1141606_sil_f.red_1.jpg

Impressed that it has a 2 year guarantee on being waterproof though (did you check that out raesewell?), and the Moto Central store at Hinckley has a decent discount on them at the moment.