TANK DECALS

Guest Father zEd

My tank decals are the oldie worldie sort - with the word "kawasaki" on a strip if plastic, with elevated areas used to form the word, and the lower areas the "back ground" ...

The letters are chromed and the "back ground" is untreated - black plastic ..

Over the years, the chrome has flaked off several of the letters, and it looks a bit naff ....

The question is, what is the best way of peeling the whole decal off without damaging the paint/tank ....

And .. does anyone know where I can get fresh decals from --- might not be easy, co these days they're just transfers stuck on ......... :?: :?: :?: :?:

Cheers me dears :wink:

If the sticker is very old alot of the glue has probably done one anyway, the best thing to do is to heat the front of the sticker for around 15 mins with a hair dryer or heat gun, get it nice and warn then use either your nails or a stanley blade if you have a steady hand to get underneath it.

If it leaves a residue of glue then you will need some evo-stick or VHB cleaner to get that off, use that stuff in tiny amounts though and in a well ventilated area :)

Which reminds me i owe philgale some stickers....whoops :)

Matt

If the sticker is very old alot of the glue has probably done one anyway, the best thing to do is to heat the front of the sticker for around 15 mins with a hair dryer or heat gun, get it nice and warn then use either your nails or a stanley blade if you have a steady hand to get underneath it.

If it leaves a residue of glue then you will need some evo-stick or VHB cleaner to get that off, use that stuff in tiny amounts though and in a well ventilated area :)

Matt

Ahhh ....

But... these thingies aren't "stickers" as such ... it's like a plastic strip, probably 1 - 2 mm thick, with embossed letters ...

Mind you ... I wonder if a hairdryer might still help me shift it :?:

Yeah mate its the same principle, id still heat anything up before i removed it from a vehicle, a good heating up as well, the softer the glue the less likely you are gonna take any paint off.

Matt

Yeah mate its the same principle, id still heat anything up before i removed it from a vehicle, a good heating up as well, the softer the glue the less likely you are gonna take any paint off.

Matt

Cheers Matt,

That sounds like a good idea :!:

Now, just need to suss out some new decals...

i can do new decals, not embossed letters but normal stuff but phils top of my list at the minute and ive got a bit of re-drawing to do for them as of yet :) but if your patient i can sort you out :)

Matt

i can do new decals, not embossed letters but normal stuff but phils top of my list at the minute and ive got a bit of re-drawing to do for them as of yet :) but if your patient i can sort you out :)

Matt

Thanks for the offer Matt, I'll give that some serious thought ...

How much are we talking? £ :?:

I'll have to think over whether the tank would look right without the

thick 'old style' decals too ... It's an old bike :wink:

I think I have real chrome letters that spell KAWASAKI if you are interested? They just stick on.

Yeh thought I did. They dont look good in the photo but they are near mint condition. Buy me a coffee on a ride out and they are yours.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2541/dscf01854df0.jpg

Once the old ones are off, if there is some glue left on the tank just use WD40 or GT85 to remove it, works wonders mate I helped a mate stealth his gixer, took ages but as mate says heat gun and wd40 is all you need, and a bit of patience.

my Yamaha ones are the same,use the hair dryer technique to warm up the glue then use dental floss or fine fishing wire pull it backwards and forwards like you would use a a hacksaw be patient it takes a while and most of the backing tape will come off,once the badges are off then use WD40 or a bit of petrol to remove the residue

when you get your new ones they should have double sided backing tape the same as used to mount car rear view mirrors make sure the tank is spotlessly clean before applying otherwise the glue wont adhere

I think I have real chrome letters that spell KAWASAKI if you are interested? They just stick on.

Yeh thought I did. They dont look good in the photo but they are near mint condition. Buy me a coffee on a ride out and they are yours.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2541/dscf01854df0.jpg

These look nice :!:

I'd almost feel guilty putting them on my quite tatty tank :oops: :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...