Jackets...are they really worth it?

Recently I started to ride outside of the town on dual carriageways (not motorways!) and started to think about safety gears. I’ve never owned a proper motorcycling clothing before. My current jacket that I’m wearing is a normal Timberland jacket which I’ve never felt cold in it and it is so comfy, warm, waterproof and fashionable but it doesn’t have ANY protection and body armour.

So I decided to go to the J&S and try their jackets. I don’t like the look of non of them, yeah I know it’s not about the fashion it’s about the safety but come on , I go to see my girlfriend and bunch of friends with my motorcycle and I don’t wanna look like a stormtrooper! Also I don’t feel comfortable in them, I tried many sizes and brands but I can’t move my arm comfortably also the jacket itself is so heavy!!

So my question is; as a new rider is it really worth it to take the risk and stick to my own normal jackets or it is too dangerous and I have to wear proper clothing?

Ultimately it's your choice, but if you have a slide, Riding in every day clothes puts you at serious risk of injury. A 30mph short slide on tarmac will shred your clothes and take skin down to the bone in no time.

If you're wearing non-protective gear like nylon/man made clothing, it will melt in slide because of the friction from road surface and you may get burns.

Which do you value more: looking good or your skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick update. I bought a pair of trousers one size larger than my actual size to wear them over my jeans and take them off after ride. Also after checking J&S and urban rider I finally could find a casual looking and fit BERING jacket in Infinity Motorcycles, actually I love the look of it more than my non-motorcycle jackets.

Here are pictures of them

[mention]Kevin[/mention]

this is the ultimate motorcycle jacket as worn by Marlon Brando in "The Wild One":

https://www.stuartslondon.com/schott-nyc-classic-perfecto-118-leather-motorcycle-jacket-p8115

You would look super cool in this

Like Mr Fro says, the Motocross type armour is good and you can wear it under most street jackets that are loose fit, don't wait until you learn the hard way, make sure you wear gloves and boots too, my son would tell you about ankles and road rash, just lay on any road and get someone to drag you as fast as they can, then think 30 or 60mph. Enough said

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk