Cutting out on pull away

Via

Damn you @fastbob ordered some sealer will do it properly :lol:

Jolly good, I got that tyre fitted this morning, got told off for having very worn brake shoes so I ordered some off eBay while I was waiting. Went into Birmingham to look at Harleys then the heavens opened so now I'm stuck in Costa in a mega garden centre waiting for the rain to stop. Snow on Monday, I don't know why I bothered.

Damn you @fastbob ordered some sealer will do it properly :lol:

Jolly good, I got that tyre fitted this morning, got told off for having very worn brake shoes so I ordered some off eBay while I was waiting. Went into Birmingham to look at Harleys then the heavens opened so now I'm stuck in Costa in a mega garden centre waiting for the rain to stop. Snow on Monday, I don't know why I bothered.

Tell me about it this weather is getting annoying now so despite 2 bikes needing some tinkering I'm staying in the dry watching tv, just has not stopped here since I've got up.

Found your Harley yet?

No. They only sell new and nearly new at official HD dealers , I just went for a look . I'm after a 2004 - 2006 XL 1200 R , its got all the features I want .

th7Q3V2Q0U.thumb.jpg.036c84bdfe110c4c3524c4ad83339ffb.jpg

Old trick re. water in petrol - add some meths to the tank. Water can't mix with petrol but it will mix with meths. Then the resulting meths/water emulsion will mix with petrol.

But that water looks rusty which means you'll have corrosion inside the tank. That needs sorting or the tank will rust through and the continuing corrosion will cause blockages in the fuel system. Just don't do what a mate of mine did. He filled the tank with fuel resistance epoxy, swilled it all round, then drained the excess out of the filler cap. Left it all to set and re-assembled the tank.

But the bike wouldn't start. We left him for weeks until he figured out why. He'd forgotten to drill through the epoxy where the fuel outlet fitted so no fuel was getting out.

....and that's why you should remove the fuel tap before doing anything like this....just replace with a small cork and remove it before the epoxy goes right off......

as for internal filter, being a £1300 new chinese bike I'm going to take a random guess it dont.

99% sure it will have - it looks like a mesh filter tube on the tank side of the petcock fitting......if you don't remove the fuel cock before treating the tank you will just block the filter.

Opened filler cap today to have a look at water ingress...

The rubber seal on filler cap seems to be doing its job but was totally full of water underneath and as soon as I've opened the filler cap it's let it all flood into tank.

You can see water level is up to edge of filler neck in pic...

20180401_125621.thumb.jpg.d423f52f76159a01fd4330ddd00e9b2a.jpg

Turns out a drain hole had blocked so cleared that out and a jet of air through...

20180401_154648.thumb.jpg.76391f87dda12bc37f9ec4d0eed1e025.jpg

So hopefully shouldn't get anymore water in the tank now, problem is I've got half a tank of petrol/water mix to get rid of.

Opened filler cap today to have a look at water ingress...

The rubber seal on filler cap seems to be doing its job but was totally full of water underneath and as soon as I've opened the filler cap it's let it all flood into tank.

You can see water level is up to edge of filler neck in pic...

20180401_125621.jpg

Turns out a drain hole had blocked so cleared that out and a jet of air through...

20180401_154648.jpg

So hopefully shouldn't get anymore water in the tank now, problem is I've got half a tank of petrol/water mix to get rid of.

Is that it ? The inside of the tank looks pristine, I wouldn't bother using tank sealer just for that , I assumed the tank was rusty throughout .

Is that it ? The inside of the tank looks pristine, I wouldn't bother using tank sealer just for that , I assumed the tank was rusty throughout .

Did say small bit :lol:

May save the sealant for the ER5 then :thumb: not that it is really much worse but prevention better than cure.