Perished rubber mounts

Guest griptwister

The rubber parts of my fairing mounts have perished due to age, my bike is a 1996 model. This has led to a horrible rattle at 3000 that spoils the pleasure of the ride. Mechanics tried to fix it and for some reason never did.

I removed the fairing and added new additional rubber spacers cut from a bicycle inner tube and refitted for a temporary fix. The bike rides sweet as a nut now. Before it was a very good bike it is now a great bike.

I will of course have to replace the old perished rubber mounts with new factory parts when and if I can get them.

This problem was unaddressed by the previous owner and has led to a cracked fairing due to the excessive vibration.

If you have a rattly bike that is over 10 years old look to the fairing mounts as a probable cause.

Old rubber becomes hard and tough with age as do bikers.

That's a good idea but the space between many of the fixings and the fairing is pretty small and tap washers are pretty thick. This might over stress the fairing by forcing it to bend when fitting it and maybe lead to fairing fracture.

I really like the idea though, I will have a look for thin tap washers or similar.

Thanks fastbob

That's a good idea but the space between many of the fixings and the fairing is pretty small and tap washers are pretty thick. This might over stress the fairing by forcing it to bend when fitting it and maybe lead to fairing fracture.

I really like the idea though, I will have a look for thin tap washers or similar.

Thanks fastbob

You could slice the ones in the picture in half .