Battery trouble

Guest oilfield

How does a battery short itself out?

The one in question is an eight week old acid filled 5Ah 12v.

Was using the bike all last week for work and on Friday set off for sunny Whitby - just outside Skipton it cut out.

After various checks, I found the battery was flat.

Much later, the RAC man did some tests and confirmed that it was indeed flat and suggested it had shorted.

Alternator charges correctly; regulator regulates correctly; no earth faults can be found.

Any ideas?

Sorry

I have no idea at all.................but it was mine and only 8 weeks old i'd probably go back to the shop...

someone with more knowledge will be along shortly

oh and pop into newbies an say hello

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shouldn't be dead after 8 weeks..that's mad. Summit not right there mate unless u've accidentally done something to run it down. It's easily done.

I only ride my bike for pleasure so I have an optimate which keep the battery in tip top condition. Just a thought for the future. :wink:

OK. Can't take it back 'cos in the small print it says something about electrical goods being non-returnable.

I'm not allowed to mention the shop, am I?!

Like I say, it seems really odd that it should run perfectly for weeks, commuting etc, then just die.

Anyroad up - like computers - they sometimes do that.

OK. Can't take it back 'cos in the small print it says something about electrical goods being non-returnable.

I'm not allowed to mention the shop, am I?!

Like I say, it seems really odd that it should run perfectly for weeks, commuting etc, then just die.

Anyroad up - like computers - they sometimes do that.

batteries usually come with a guarantee...........I'd go round to the shop and talk to them, and yes you can name and shame the shop in question especially if they're not helpful......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

North Manchester to Whitby ....

via Skipdale :scratch:

What's with t' scenic route then :D

You probably passed t' bottom of my road ... and t' bottom of Brother Keef's too :lol: :lol:

Nay, the bike doesn't have an alarm.

Could laying the battery on its side, therefore exposing the plates, short it? For example, if the bike where to have had a lie down 'cos it was tired, maybe?!

The scenic route was to avoid the boredom of the M62, A1M & A64. And as this was my first BIG ride out, I'd rather not have been on the hard shoulder for the 5 1/2 hours it took to recover me!

The layby immediately before the roundabout for Airedale Hosp is a particularly nice one!

Thanks must go to the three separate bikers and the couple in the Corsa who stopped to assist / for curiosity.

Just out of interest, the shop in question is: Bitz for Bikes, Castleton, and they are very nice and friendly, but will not move on policy issues!

Ta

[attachment=:name]

if the battery has shorted the plates will have warped

for the plates to warp the bike would have to be over charging or if kept on a battery maintainer that could be over charging

what shop was it from ? take it back they all come with a warranty its the law :)

Taking the thing back isn't the issue - sure, it's annoying, but I'm more concerned with WHY the fault occured, and whether it will again and can it be prevented.

Thanks anyway.

I'll check again for overcharging and let you know.

[attachment=:name]

could just have been a duff battery you bought in the 1st place mate cos it does happen, or something as simple as a loose connection on the terminals will cause a new battery to run flat..have you tried to re-charge it, to see if its holding a charge?...other than that have you run a continuity test for wiring faults or one on the alternator to confirm its doing its job?

I purchased a replacement this morning and have been out on it and done the checks with this new one.

Have checked alternator, regulator and battery with lights on & off, revving, fast & normal idle, and all appears well according to the various figures from the multi meter. These figures check with the manuals and advice given.

It looks like I've just had a bad 'un.

:? :oops: :(

Have found that the regulator is giving an intermittent fault - checked it six times and got six different readings, only one was anywhere near the desired output.

Have ordered a replacement - a Boyer Powerbox from Hitchcocks - ordered it last Monday morning & its not arrived, yet I ordered some bits from MandP on Wednesday and they arrived Friday morning!!

The post AGAIN!