Loose chain

daffers

The chain on my SV1000s is a bit loose, noticed it yesterday when riding home, and when I re-lubed it, it's definitely got too much play on it.

Now being a girly :twisted: I've never tightened my own chain before, always had a mate who's popped in at the right time to do it for me :lol:

I've read the manual and it seems self explanatory :?: but can you do it wrong? How do you know when it's tight enough?

the manual will tell you how much play should be on your chain, so loosen off the wheel, adjust the chain till you think its right, then sit on your bike and check the tension again, if its too tight, then loosen it off a tad and sit back on the bike and check the chain tension...once your happy that you have it right. thats the time to tighten it all back up...HTH

Billy

the manual should tell you the range of freeplay allowed on ur chain daffers............the tensioners should be located on ur rear wheel......just make sure ya tighten em both exactly the same.........personally i turn each tensioner 1/4 turn till it's right......if ya tighten one more than t'other ur wheel alignment gets thrown out...........mind you that's if yours has tensioners each side.......only goin on what mine's like........it's a simple job really.....................even for a girlie :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys, and FC, you don't know me very well, I'm useless with stuff like this :cry: I just like to ride it :lol:

I'll see how I get on this afty :D

Oh and yes I've just seen the picture where it tells you how much play should be on the chain :oops: :oops:

Thanks guys, and FC, you don't know me very well, I'm useless with stuff like this :cry: I just like to ride it :lol:

I'll see how I get on this afty :D

Oh and yes I've just seen the picture where it tells you how much play should be on the chain :oops: :oops:

Gawd................ya sound just like debs..........aw well most thing in life are sent to try us poor downtrodden males :? :lol: :lol: especially females :shock: :shock:

Daffers, as you own a suzuki completely ignore the marks on the swingarm they are usually way out!!!!!

As FC says adjust it by the same amount each side so for mine I do one flat of the adjuster bolt each side at a time until I get the right tension.

Suzuki are well known for having rubbish alignment marks, my trusted suzuki main dealer never uses them he sets each new bike up using a wheel alignment tool rather than the marks on the swingarm.

also worth noting on a suzuki which is pretty comon

when you undo the wheel nut the chain goes looser so you get the right tension and once you tighten the wheel nut up again the chain also gets tighter again :?

if you get stuck pop round with it :)

The chain on my SV1000s is a bit loose, noticed it yesterday when riding home, and when I re-lubed it, it's definitely got too much play on it.

Now being a girly :twisted: I've never tightened my own chain before, always had a mate who's popped in at the right time to do it for me :lol:

I've read the manual and it seems self explanatory :?: but can you do it wrong? How do you know when it's tight enough?

Ooooerrr Dont we all wish we had a friend like that. :wink:

Nobody seems to have mentioned one of the most important things, make sure you check the slack in your chain at the tightest spot. i.e. check the slack, turn your wheel slightly, and check it again, do this until the chain has been all the way round