Carburettor - tune up

MikeRider

Hello.

Would this be a job for the professional or this is home possible, to be done ( with correct tools ) ?

I have watched some youtube.com and doesn't look so complicated, but is it ?

We are talking Yamaha XJ900 (1991y).

Subject of self improvement in servicing skill to discuss.

Thanks.

What are you actually after doing?

if its just a strip clean and put everything back to stock then yes you can do at home

If you're looking at getting the fuelling right then you need it on a dyno ideally

Once running, I can hear it, it doesn't run smoothly.

When gear changing it almost stops running [ clutch full on ] or accelerate kinda weird , also [ first almost nothing then power up fast ]

Thought exactly about the fuelling.

If its your forst attempt at striping cleaning carbs, I would recommend.

1. Take photos to help put everything back together correctly.

2. Before dismantling check for fuel leaks - note which carbs are leaking, these may need new floats/valves.

2. Do one pair first, then if you are unnsure about how to reassemble you can look ath he the other 2.

3. Have a good clean area to work on, a light coloured surface and good lighting, carb parts are small and easy to loose.

4. Ultrasonic cleaner is useful, but if you don't have one, aerosol carb cleaner.

5. The carbs will need a balance afterwards, but can be set up approximately by visually setting the throttle flaps so they all move to

6. Check clean/replace th efule filter, ifi t hasn't got one fit one, you don't all your hard work goingto waste by getting the carbs fullof dirt again.

The trouble you have with this is that you don't know if someone has been inside the carbs before!

If the bike is stock then take everything back to stock settings on the carbs

Removing and cleaning the carburettors can be done at home with just a few tools.

but before that check the condition of the spark plugs before diving into the carbs and see if any cylinders are running rich/lean, they can point you to a problem carb before you even get them off the bike.

if you are cleaning then take a pen and paper and take note of the jet sizes as they are cleaned, you can then check if they are stock setup, Carbs 1+4 will most likely have larger main jets than 2+3 so don't mix them up. While the carbs are apart I would change the needles valves and seats, replacements are only a few pennies and worth the cost, even if the originals look good.

Before digging, make sure you have the recommended settings for float heights and air screws for re-assembly, for a good start point

keep the carb bodies together as one lump, if you split them you detune them and will require a lot more setup :thumb:

I did mine on a cbr400...no problem. Did borrow an ultrasound bath from husbands work. Bought a new carb kit. I did it all by youtube vid. Never done anything like it before. Bike sounds lovely.

Podspeed uk the youtube channel.