GIVI LUGGAGE

Guest Father zEd

Hopefully, if I can scrape together the spondulies, I'm going to get some hard luggage for my ZX-11 this year....

Now ... the question is, which is the best set up to opt for :?:

I'm sticking with GIVI cos whilst it does cost arms and legs to get set up, all the bumf I've read says that they're the most robust/water-tight ....

But there does seem to be all manner of keyed, keyless, combination lock, two way openning lids, some with lights, some without lights ... to fathom out :shock:

I've sussed so far that I want a big fat top box - ie that will take 2 FF lids;

and I'm thinking that narrower side panniers would be a wiser option --- cos that will still mean that filtering won't be too bad :idea:

What have other peeps got, and what tips can you give me :?:

I know the WingRack will be c £110 :shock:

:D :wink: :D :wink: :D

As long as the panniers don't stick out further than your handle bars your filtering shouldn't be affected.

Don't know any other answers as all my luggage came wiv da bike :lol:

As long as the panniers don't stick out further than your handle bars your filtering shouldn't be affected.

Don't know any other answers as all my luggage came wiv da bike :lol:

Mmm ...

I fink the filtering will be affected at least a bit - cos the bum end of a ZX/ZZR 1100 the tail is quite wide - so it will 'kick out' and panniers away from the body work .....

And I know yours would have come with the bike :P

Clever clogs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yebbut if the bars go through the butt will go through too if it doesn't stick out like Dawn French's derriere.

How very dare you :evil:

See.....

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s210/edster71/25046472.jpg

The big Kwakker's lines do flare out a bit at the bum end ....

But it IS blasphemy to compare the sacredness of the Holy Kwakkersaki to the pie-gobbling comediene Ms. French :shock: :twisted: :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Looking at that pic the mirrors and pipes are in line - so as long as your luggage doesn't stick out further than the exhausts you're no wider than normal.

Looking at that pic the mirrors and pipes are in line - so as long as your luggage doesn't stick out further than the exhausts you're no wider than normal.

Nah. ...

Maybe it doesn't come across so well in that piccie ....

But the rear plastic work is quite wide .... Maybe this will illustrate it better:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s210/edster71/KAWASAKIZZR1100D5-pic3-081220072316.jpg

Ah now I getcha!

Not a lot of inboard room for luggage is there?

No... the shape of the back end sort of kicks the panniers out away from the bodywork ...

Ah .. I've finally found a piccie ...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s210/edster71/nick2.jpg

This is how the wing-rack fits ...

The really decisive bit is size & type of panniers and topbox ...

:D

Guest akey

Oh father,

I have recently had this same dilema(sp).

The tiger has a givi rack on it when i purchased it from a place of motorcycle worship, but alas no panniers.

Having looked at the good book of givi, I soon realised that many of their offerings are both large and expensive (£150 each and upwards), even after trawling the home of sinners that is ebay I found no bargains.

However if you look carefully at the good book of givi you will find a lesser known varient of the pannier known as the E21, it is the smallest of offering at 21L per pannier but it does come in at around £120 for the pair, yes you read right the pair. And so I have purchased a set of these for the mighty trumpet and they fit well and do the job very nicely, they are top loading types and you can even have a coloured lid if you so desire. It is also the thinnest of the givi offerings.

Now the bad bit, compared with the rest of the range they are small, but at 21L each (42L total) they compare with sports soft panniers, and importantly you can then use them to support a bag accross the back seat, and with the addtion of my oxford first soft tail pack on the rack I think I can get around 100 - 120L of stuff on the bike which is pleanty for all but the longest of trips.

Also because they come as a pair one key is used for both panniers, and to remove them from the bike so its nice and easy. If you are at MFN father I will deomonstrate them for you if required (:lol:)

I have a ZZR1200 and I have an E52 top box which will take 2 XL helmets... I made the till jockey in Hein Gericke prove it with 2 brand new Arai helmets...

I have got the E41 Keyless (they are the cheapest of the larger panniers) panniers which are not entirely keyless... They open as a normal pannier but you can access the top by means of a small combination locked cover... Cracking idea that is quite usefull like when you have your waterproofs in the pannier you can get at them without opening the whole thing....

With the topbox, panniers and rack system came to about Just under £500...

When I change my bike all I need to get is a new rack for the new bike and bobs your aunties live in lover....

Best money I've spent in ages and they've already had quite a bit of use... :D