Riding along, donkey like, think, engine dies

James in Brum

22 hours ago, Six30 said:

its the thunk sound ... thats not a good noise on anything mechanical, especially if its a clunk sound and being mistaken for a thunk noise.

The Thunk is the lash in the drive train due to a momentary loss of power . It's going to be worse on a Kawasaki because of their strange obsession with primary drive chains instead of direct gear drive . My money is on the side stand switch .  Can I have Lt Uhura doing the uncomprehending face this time please ? 

Rob I think you are right. In the stress of being at the side of the road I think it was in gear and on side stand when I tried to start it. Maybe the issues causing initial breakdown and it not starting are unrelated. 
will ring the place in the morning, they already think I am a aTit.

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

The Thunk is the lash in the drive train due to a momentary loss of power . It's going to be worse on a Kawasaki because of their strange obsession with primary drive chains instead of direct gear drive . My money is on the side stand switch .  Can I have Lt Uhura doing the uncomprehending face this time please ? 

Image result for star trek gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, James in Brum said:

Garage think reg rec and alternator. I wonder if having bought a cheap reg rec it has cooked everything.

either way you all correctly diagnosed electrical and I will probably get my bike back next week some time :-) 

When you get it back , have a really close look at the side stand switch . 😉