Cost of Test

Medina27

A 5 day das is around 650-750 round where I live but the amount of hours a day training consists of varies from school to school.

It's very difficult to do full license not through a school, even if you are good enough you still need to get a full powered bike to the test centre and find someone who will insure you.

5 hours ago, Medina27 said:

Am I missing something here?

Mod 1 & 2 = roughly £95

So why are people paying over £800 to get on the road?  

5 hours ago, Tiggie said:

£800 sounds steep! A 3 to 5 day das is around £480 in West Yorkshire.

Training, lessons on how to pass the test, use of bike schools motorbike and insurance etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spongefinger said:

A 5 day das is around 650-750 round where I live but the amount of hours a day training consists of varies from school to school.

It's very difficult to do full license not through a school, even if you are good enough you still need to get a full powered bike to the test centre and find someone who will insure you.

Why not just take the tests with my 125cc for £95 when I'm already familiar with the bike 

4 minutes ago, Medina27 said:

Why not just take the tests with my 125cc for £95 when I'm already familiar with the bike 

You can do that and it will entitle you ride a bike up to 125cc only .. If later on you wish to ride a larger bike you'll have to take the tests again on a larger bike!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KiwiBob said:

You can do that and it will entitle you ride a bike up to 125cc only .. If later on you wish to ride a larger bike you'll have to take the tests again on a larger bike!

That's fine by me. I just wanna take the L plates off and carry the wife on the back 

Can this be done? What test do I need?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Medina27 said:

That's fine by me. I just wanna take the L plates off and carry the wife on the back 

Can this be done? What test do I need?

Ah, well that info changes the cost . Yes it will only cost you the price of the test as you will be able to use your own 125. The only foreseeable issue is if you realise 2 up on a 125 is no fun and you want to get a bigger bike and you have to do it all over again.

10 hours ago, daveinlim said:

Just under £800 for 5 days in South London with phoenix. Obviously cheaper for less days too

This is what I did, DAS with Phoenix in Foots Cray. Good and reputable school, decent guys running the training, proper one to one guidance and advice where needed, and got me through CBT and DAS (Mod 1 and 2) first time but also feeling reasonably confident. Could have found cheaper but for me it felt like a worthwhile investment. 

A colleague recently decided to get a bike for commuting. He had been riding a scooter overseas for years but wasn’t qualified for UK and fancied going for a big bike. He found a local school somewhere in North London (I don’t know who) and had a nightmare. He went for his CBT and said that after a very short time on the bike he was told he had “failed” and was told to re-book another session with them (at about £140) to try again. He told me the class seemed to be full of food delivery scooter riders who all passed despite not following the instructions properly and not seeming in control of their bikes. Seemed like a bit of a racket, which makes me think spending the extra on a reputable school was worth it (for me). 

It is possible your 125 won't be fast enough to get up to the required speed in time for the speed recorder on Mod1. You have to go round a bend and accelerate up to a speed sensor 32mph before doing swerve and emergency stop. There's a diagram on the web somewhere showing the distances so you can try it out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JustinW said:

It is possible your 125 won't be fast enough to get up to the required speed in time for the speed recorder on Mod1. You have to go round a bend and accelerate up to a speed sensor 32mph before doing swerve and emergency stop. There's a diagram on the web somewhere showing the distances so you can try it out.

I believe that's why they added the tolerance making it a minor to come in just under the required speed rather than a fail.

A girl who did her Mod 1 with me used a scooter and she had to wind it on all the way round the curve to ensure she reached speed whereas with the big bike you can wait until the are out of the curve and then give it some welly.

Edited by Spongefinger