Hoodlum 125

Paul j

I was riding my hoodlum 125 on Saturday and it was raining and all of sudden my bike  cuts out and would not start left it a bit it started then cut out again I don't think my likes rain  is some thing electronical  and as any body else had this problem on a hoodlum or is just me

As above try WD40, it will displace the water and get it working again. Trouble with WD40 is its only temporary. Itsa get you home fix and can help diagnose the problem.

Looking for sparks at night sometimes works, shows you where the problem is.

Trouble with WD40 is its only temporary.

Check the coil ht lead spark plug cap and spark plug.

Cracks in the spark plug cap will let water in/spark out

Damaged HT lead insulation will let water in/spark out.

If the HT lead touches or is close to any metal, try to keepthem apart, if you can't consider adding insulation between the lead and metalwork.

Clean the lead/cap/coil - oil attracts dirt that can be a path for the sprk to follow, with water in the mix its even worse.

Old/worn spark plug won't help either.

21 minutes ago, iangaryprice said:

As above try WD40, it will displace the water and get it working again. Trouble with WD40 is its only temporary. Itsa get you home fix and can help diagnose the problem.

Looking for sparks at night sometimes works, shows you where the problem is.

Trouble with WD40 is its only temporary.

Check the coil ht lead spark plug cap and spark plug.

Cracks in the spark plug cap will let water in/spark out

Damaged HT lead insulation will let water in/spark out.

If the HT lead touches or is close to any metal, try to keepthem apart, if you can't consider adding insulation between the lead and metalwork.

Clean the lead/cap/coil - oil attracts dirt that can be a path for the sprk to follow, with water in the mix its even worse.

Old/worn spark plug won't help either.

Thats a bit like the issue I had when I had my bullit 250 a few years ago ht lead sparking off the engine. Fortunately died outside a hardware store. Got some insulation  tape, it got me out of trouble replaced the lead with an ngk one and was the only issue I had with that bike 

56 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Thats a bit like the issue I had when I had my bullit 250 a few years ago ht lead sparking off the engine. Fortunately died outside a hardware store. Got some insulation  tape, it got me out of trouble replaced the lead with an ngk one and was the only issue I had with that bike 

MY GSX600 is four cylinder - so 4 HT leads to deal with. I was getting misfires inheavy rain.

First - found out previous owner had shortened the front mudguard, gota new 2nd hand one - helped but din't cure it.

Cleaned all around the top of the head and coils, lots of oil and dirt. Most of the leads touched metal at some point (head and frame) no way of keeping them apart. So I added extra layers of insulation on the leads and metal parts where they touched - this helped a lot, I have not had misfires since.

• Like 1