Green Lane Questions From a Newbie!

Right, :blah:

I live in Dorset and I have just passed my test last December... and I have questions.

1. Is there a book that can tell me the legal Green Lanes around the West Country that are still legal. I'm not interested in getting into fights with old people and farmers who think that the countryside is there for them only. I am a shy quiet person and I want a quiet life, so any info would hep.

2. Is there a magazine for Green Laning just for Motorbikes?

3. I have £3k to buy a Enduro/Off Road bike. I don't want anything bigger that a 400cc, any thoughts?

And just in case your interested my daily bike is a Triumph Daytona 650... in yellow obvs :laugh:

Cheers Compo

Firstly the bike, for green laning you don't need anything bigger than a 200 (or similar). I had a KTM EXC200 for many years, they have ample power. I now have a Beta Xtrainer which is a very softly powered 300, it's only advantage over the KTM is that it doesn't try spinning the rear wheel when trying to get up tricky climbs.

As for routes your best bet it to look up and join your nearest TRF club. Doesn't cost a lot and you will meet lots of like minded people who know the legal trails (which are getting fewer and fewer).

Edited by Yorky
typo

21 hours ago, Yorky said:

Firstly the bike, for green laning you don't need anything bigger than a 200 (or similar). I had a KTM EXC200 for many years, they have ample power. I now have a Beta Xtrainer which is a very softly powered 300, it's only advantage over the KTM is that it doesn't try spinning the rear wheel when trying to get up tricky climbs.

As for routes your best bet it to look up and join your nearest TRF club. Doesn't cost a lot and you will meet lots of like minded people who know the legal trails (which are getting fewer and fewer).

That's good info thanks.

I am looking for a older twin shock style bike, maybe a BSA or a Norton.

I like British stuff, or maybe a Husky, none of this over rated over priced modern Jap nonsense for me!

If its not 2 stroke, its no fun! :wave:

As has already been said, join a local group or club.  They will take you out on the best lanes and routes dependant on experience level.  I found a 250cc was big enough for me, I'm a big bloke though, some people prefer smaller machines.  Easier to manoeuvre and less tiring.  2 Stroke or 4 Stroke?  Personally I went for 4 stroke,  the 2 stroke I had a go on was mental, and IMHO designed for someone far more professional off road than me.  Lastly, stick to the lanes, don't be tempted to go "off piste".  Some people love to complain and moan about off roaders, those who do wander off the designated lanes are basically just giving the anti green lane lobby all the ammunition they need to get them closed down.  Be courteous, respectful and remember you're an ambassador for every other rider that may use that lane after you in the future.  Mostly though, just get out there and enjoy 👍

Thanks chaps, I've had a look and made a few calls and I am going out for a trail ride day in the Purbecks with a local club.

Also I'm going to Beaulieu Autojumble on the 10th September. I'll see what's knocking around and see if I can pick myself up a bargain!

Thanks for your advise!