XJR1300 - rocker cover, chain stretch, brake disks.. DIY?

Fiddlesticks

Howdy,

Doing a few checks on my 2007 XJR1300 - first bike, have had it since Feb and have put 3250 miles on it, mostly either motorway or with a pillion (or both).

Chain looks like it's within the correct tolerance for tension, but 3.2mm over stretched.

Brake pads down to about 2-2.5mm from what I can tell.

Rear tyre has a flat profile and the tread depth which seemed pretty good at the time is getting ready for replacing.

Thinking of going down the DIY route,  have most of the tools, a couple of different workshop manuals and a friendly mechanic who will help me out if needed. Would you tackle all the jobs in one go?

Also noticed the rubber rocker cover gasket is sweating a bit of oil when you run your finger over it after a ride.  Oil levels good though, haven't topped up since buying the bike. Anything to worry about?

Any words of wisdom or caution welcomed before I start tinkering in a few weeks.

Edited by Fiddlesticks

Chain and sprockets isn't hard if you have a good chain rivet tool.  Brake pads are also a simple enough task. You could do them at the same time quite easily.

Tyres are a matter of preference. I don't have the kit and our local workshop charges a fiver to do them with balancing so I take the wheels to them. I have changed tyres and figured out it's well worth a fiver to have it done by the workshop. I'd love to have the kit but I don't go through enough tyres to warrant it. In your situation I'd do it whilst doing the chain and sprockets.

If the gasket isn't leaking enough to leave mark I wouldn't worry about it for the time being. I've had one that sweated a tiny amount for years that never got any worse. Just keep an eye on it for the time being.

• Thanks 1