Some thoughts on German autobahns

S-Westerly

Having just ridden the best part of 500 kilometres on autobahns there's a few things I'd like to throw out into the public domain.

Like everywhere they vary a lot from 4 lanes of superb tarmac to 2 lanes of concrete slabs. On the first you waft along smooth as silk on the other its like riding a pogo stick. Some sections are M25 busy and others almost empty. 

You need to be aware on the no limit sections that cars will come screaming up behind you at insane speeds. My estimate is well over 200 kph on the basis that I once thought to see if I could keep up with a passing Audi. I'm not ashamed to say that when my speedo showed an indicated 210 kph I chickened out. I felt 165 was quite sufficient.

Fuel prices are high but if you notice an Autohof just off the autobahn the price will be 30 cents less.

An annoying minor thing is that most of the service areas on the autobahns make you pay 70 cents for a pee. If like me you've got no change some will tap and go on  a card but others won't.  I ended up hopping a barrier on one desperate occasion. However if you pull off into a rest area which has no facilities except toilets they are free but a bit medieval.

Finally the generally 2 lane autobahns through hills are quite interesting as they have some bends, are often quiet and you can thrash the tits off your bike to your hearts content.

• Like 7