Review: Oak & Iron tyre inflator

I got one of the these because it was on kickstarter, and I thought hey why not?

Actually, why not is obvious: it's not cheap. I paid $125 delivered. I see they're current doing deals on their web site (https://oakandiron.tech) so perhaps you can get it cheaper now.

So why review it? Simple: it is amazing.

First, it is beautifully made. It's feels nice in the hand, it looks pretty cool. It has a torch function so you can fix a puncture in the dark, and comes with its own velvety sleeping bag to keep it snug. Ok, still not worth $125, you're right.

But the main is this: it's so easy to use. Just switch on, set the pressure you want, twist twist twist to get the hose on the valve, and press the button. Job done. It's so much easier than my old stirrup pump: pump pump pump then hose off and test the pressure, oh no a bit more, hose back on, pump pump, hose off, test again, oh no, etc.

But this is the that bit wins me over completely: the stirrup pump I had was too long to go touring with, and so I had a back up foot pump that was 95% useless, which meant ages of pumping to get the tyre pressure up a couple of psi.  This thing, though, is about 5" x 4" x 2" and fits into any bag or top box. It charges by USB, so it can be done while riding. If you need it, that is. I've already topped up 8 motorbike tyres and 4 car tyres and it's still showing 3 bars of charge out of 4.  

Conclusion: Rolls-Royce product. At a Rolls Royce price.

• Like 1