bike cutting out with no throttle sitting at traffic lights

Guest gnrforever

hi

i have just bought a 2nd hand kymco 125 cruiser. everything is great apart from 2 things

i had to buy an optimate charger as after 3 or 4 days the only way to start it would be to kick start it unless i left it over night charging

anyone else have this problem?

my other problem is when i start the bike up or sitting at traffic lights or basically anytime im not using the throttle the big stops. so at the moment im sitting at the traffic lights and have to very gentle keep the revs up so it doesnt cut out

any ideas??

thanks in advance

beat me to it ya twohat :lol: :lol: :lol:

;) lol

yes i use an optimate, only way to keep a small battery ok. On smaller bikes the batteries are really small so dont hold charge too well

ok cool

just really wanted to make sure that it was not a problems with my bike

cos the bike has been cutting out alot at traffic lights etc the battery has obv been very low as i have had to start it up quite a few times when im on the road - happened as i went round a corner the other day and it wouldnt even let me kick start it - had to wait an hour then it was ok

have you got a multimeter? if so check the voltage when the bike is running.

should be giving around 14 v at the battery. If its 12 or less (assuming its a 12v bike dont know if its 12 or 6 tbh) your alternator isnt charging the battery and we need to investigate further.

If the batts that flat it wont help but it most likely your tickover :wink:

its a 12 v bike

i will check it out and see where its at - my prob at the moment is i dont have any external power so its hard to charge my bike as i live in a flat

if i can sort out the tickover then that will atleast give me more time before i need to charge it

thanks for your help

When I first got my bike I wondered why it always cut out when I pulled up at my destination. Turns out my bike cuts the engine if you put the side stand down whilst in gear.. even if you have the clutch in. I felt a bit stupid when I figured it out! :)