Loose Clutch handle and Gears issue - Help! (CBR125)

bigup

hi guys

just went out for a ride

probably the 4th time ive been out with it since i bought it last week (second hand). been fine all week but today was a bit scary.

riding along like normal, come to red traffic lights, brake on to slow down, clutch in to down shift to first gear as i am about to stop.

gear would not go into first gear, think it seemed to be stuck in 3rd.

so pushed my self to side of the road, trying to figure out what is going on.

it just wouldn't go into first gear or Neutral, ended up going up gears as much as i can then then back down again, then finally somehow it went into Neutral, but from here i couldn't go back to first, so i had to release the clutch then press the clutch into get back into first,

phewww i thought! thought i was stranded as i had left my mobile at home (for the first time!).

so starting off again, next 5mins fine.

then come to another set of lights and the same thing happens again, crapping my self cos it could be any thing

managed to get into first again using the above method.

then i thought i may be down shifting too fast when coming to traffic lights.

so on the next traffic lights, i gradually went down gears instead of quickly tap tap tap tap tap , and it seemed to have worked, using this method it didnt happen again.

got home and noticed that the clutch handle has some play, as in its quite loose to move up and down. i looked around and couldn't find any where i could tighten it up. Could this be related?

any ideas what this could have been? am i riding the bike wrong?

the bike is an 07 plate with 200miles only on the clock!

the bike is barely run in mate, did you buy it new?

there is a pitstop area so in future stick em in there ;)

its a clutch lever not handle btw, there will normally be up and down play but how much play is there when you pull the lever in?

you should only have about 5mm b4 you feel pressure.

when you are down shifting are you releasing the clutch between gears?

could be a combination of things

are you trying to change from say top down to 1st all in one go without letting the clutch out ?

if so it cant be done you have to let the clutch out ideally between every gear change :)

amazing response times guys!

got the bike with 140miles on the clock!!

and come to think of it, i wasn't releasing the clutch lever when down shifting from 4th to 1st, this is when the problem occurred

after that i did start releasing the clutch between down shifts and the problem went away.

so you think this could be the reason why then? i didn't realise i couldn't put clutch in and down shift all the way to 1st whilst slowing down at traffic lights

on my cbt i was learning on CG125, and on them i could down shift all tthe way to 1st whilst slowing down without any problems..

the majority of bike you have to let the clutch out between gears plus its wise to then your not in the wrong gear for accelarating if you need to :)

so is this is a safety feature then?

il go out tomorrow for a spin and test this out, want to make sure it isnt a mechanical problem.

Do you know what engine braking is?

j.

of course i do dude

from your first post it doesnt sound like you do it, 'clutch in and shift down to first just as your about to stop' well part of releasing the pressure is engine braking, feathering the clutch as you shift down. More importantly it sounds like you werent encouraged to do this on your CBT.

j.

Do you know what engine braking is?

j.

of course i do dude

from your first post it doesnt sound like you do it, 'clutch in and shift down to first just as your about to stop' well part of releasing the pressure is engine braking, feathering the clutch as you shift down. More importantly it sounds like you werent encouraged to do this on your CBT.

j.

yeh, wasn't told in the CBT to do this, hence why i wasn't doing it, but i will now do this

the gearbox works by the selector drum revolving when you move through the box, so if you dont release the clutch you wont allow the gears to move over ...so you cant get the next gear.

You should always clutch put as you move down through the gears. helps to slow you.

You dont have to use the clutch at all ;)

the gearbox works by the selector drum revolving when you move through the box, so if you dont release the clutch you wont allow the gears to move over ...so you cant get the next gear.

You should always clutch put as you move down through the gears. helps to slow you.

You dont have to use the clutch at all ;)

thanks mate :)