Z1000SX Clutch Issue - Caused cable to start snapping

jedibiker

Well, had an amazing ride to Wales around the brecon beacons.

200 mile home ride and 50 miles left and I felt a snap on the clutch lever, then the lever was softer.

I then realised I had little to no clutch so pulled into mc ds. I had to turn bike off to stop.

The lever was trying to pull too hard as the main mechanism wouldnt go any further to get the clutch to work.

Managed to get home and took the case off to look inside

All looks ok, plates are in spec but all metal plates are smooth as if never had any of the usual dents. Wonder if they are after market and meant to be like that. clutch was ok and perfect til that moment.

The push rod doesnt seem right to me, but ive never had this style.

any ideas?

Video of what ive seen so far https://we.tl/t-FFyKSd7ybw

the steel plates om my versys are smooth  also 

Clutch on yours looks very similar 

Careful on reassembly on the versys the first steel plate is very slightly thicker worth checking 

• Like 1

A question 

In your video where you are pushing the actuating lever was that before or after you removed the cover ?

The reason I ask is that there is a flat milled on the end of that lever and when reinstalling the cover you need to have the flat facing out 

Then push the casing on and turn the lever so that it engages the pin you pulling on in the second video 

If memory serves the way the clutch works is that lever pulls the pin outward against the springs on the 5 bolts on the front 

14 hours ago, V650 said:

A question 

In your video where you are pushing the actuating lever was that before or after you removed the cover ?

The reason I ask is that there is a flat milled on the end of that lever and when reinstalling the cover you need to have the flat facing out 

Then push the casing on and turn the lever so that it engages the pin you pulling on in the second video 

If memory serves the way the clutch works is that lever pulls the pin outward against the springs on the 5 bolts on the front 

It was the same before and after, but I did put the rod in after the cover went on and turn it to grab the push rod. the rod doesnt seem to be pulling the pin at all and something seems to be holding the plate back.

the push rod has play but im not yet sure if thats normal. I cant see anything wrong yet. Il get a load of pics and get em posted.  cheers

I have a feeling its just a case of a bad cable and it stretched and started to snap gradually. The arm I struggle to move should be hard to move as its got 5 springs to move.

New cable on the way and hopefully thats all it is.

That's what I thought That the cable may be fraying 

Yeah if the arm is pulling the pin I usually had to use a mole grips / Vice grip to turn it ( had it apart a few times to replace the gearbox ) 

Gearbox2.jpg

Clutch is working now, was just the cable as it was totally fecked. Did check the clutch anyway and it all looked ok, re lubed and changed oil seal for the actuater arm.

First start up clunked into gear and it never did but i suspect it needs to fully settle again etc..

• Like 2