Insurance

CELTICDUFF

Hello I’m new on this forum . I’ve recently bought a Yamaha tricity ( don’t laugh ) so hardly a biker. I’m trying to get insurance . The problem is that every security item I go to buy isn’t on their list . Any advice is appreciated 

Most insurers are only interested in security items that have been through recognised testing by companies like  Thatcham or "sold secure" . there are exceptions though these are usually electronic and original to the bike, like an immobiliser.

If you are looking at security items without these accreditations then you may as well not bother mentioning them. As the insurers won't recognise them. That doesnt mean they are rubbish, (thought they might be) - just that the manufacturer hasn't had them independently tested. and paid a lot of money for the pleasure.

Edited by Gerontious

Whenever I've checked on quotes, locks etc. have made no appreciable difference to the price. Try running a quote and choose a lock on the list and see how much difference it makes. If not much don't bother insuring with a lock and then you're free to buy whatever you want. If it makes a big difference then buy that specific lock.

I've done the same as the Great Goat, with much the same outcome. At best, I could have shelled out £150 or so for a mahoosive chain and lock for a £10 discount.

I currently use an alarmed disc lock, which I don't declare on the insurance so I can use it when I want to and not bother when it doesn't suit me.  

• Like 2

Locks have never made any price difference on my quotes. So I never name them, then if my bike gets nicked and I've forgotten to lock it the insurance company can't withhold paying out. 

I do have a few locks on all the time but just no point declaring them.

Try quoting without locks and then with some locks they have listed, see if it makes a difference 

On 16/05/2023 at 20:02, CELTICDUFF said:

Also surely securing the bike will bring the insurance down? 

In my experience recently, the biggest difference on quotes is simply, postcode and if garaged or not.
I'm still looking for a bike, and the main thing the changed the cost is postcode where I can keep it. And tested

various i've lived at over the years.
Up north (North East) garaged I was getting around £1200-£2500, not garaged around £1400-£3000
North West (Manchester/Salford areas), garaged £1000-£2000, not garaged around £1400-£2500
Down South around my parents,  garaged £190-300, not garaged £200-400.
This is 2 year held license, 0 no claims, leathers protection, and adding my 'security' (which I don't usually do, but tested) which is an approved disc lock and a big ass

chain they have on the list it made no difference to mine.

Size of bike made a tiny bit of difference but only for 125cc which were on the higher end of the scale.

Good luck!
But don't bother saying you have the security. - As daveinlim says - The one time you forget to use it, something happens, they don't pay.
So don't say you have any.

Edited by peatear

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned above, you tell your insurance company you are using and XYZ123 lock, they expect you to use it all the time, AND if your bike is stolen they expect some kind of proof you used the said lock. Now, finding the remains of your lock in the gutter with angle grinder marks through the shackle would show that, but many criminal now practice 'DNA Free' crimes, as in they take the smashed up lock away with them. That leaves you with a problem. The insurance companies attitude is, you said you were going to lock your bike up with an XYZ123, prove it. I'm nor saying all insurance companies are bad, but we all know given the opportunity they'll try to wriggle out of their responsibilities.

Edited by Capt Sisko