Newbie needing advice on seat covers

Kingstonsmith

Hi, 

I'm still very new to this (1.5 yrs in) so always open to advice. As the warm weather comes I intending on getting out more and more, but found during a recent trip to France that the seat is becoming hot (and very sweaty) when the sun is out, particularly on a longer ride. I was looking into seat covers and options, but there seems to be a lot on the market, all varying in price and claims. I did get a cheap one to begin with but was totally useless and fell apart almost instantly. 

Is it worth spending the money on a higher quality model? Do they 'REALLY' make a difference in both the hotter and wetter months? 

I did have a look at Air-Flow as they seem to have a ton of reviews, but would welcome any suggestions. I ride a H-D heritage classic. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Kingstonsmith

Looks absolutely hideous but my arse loves it !  Cheapo 80's beaded seat cover modified to fit.  Much cheapness.

Nobody sees it when you're riding it....

06.24  Quiet roads near Roanne on TDM   (1).JPG

I see “cool covers” mentioned a lot and only in a positive sense. I’ve never found heat to be a problem with the seat while travelling south of the Alps the problem is always my upper body. My own strategy is to avoid wherever possible parking the bike in the sun. Seek out some shade even if that might mean a longer walk. It might sound counterintuitive but I do know some people swear by white sheepskin seat pads. I’ve even seen what are obviously home made white cotton covers on bikes in Italy. Even draping a white tee shirt over the seat can help a lot. My problem in 30+ heat is always my jacket. I now take two when I’m heading that far south. A fully vented spare that I prioritise finding room for.

i have tried Beadmaster (like a beaded seat cover) and Cool Covers. Of the two, I prefere the Beadmaster but, they are USA-made and there may be import hassles now. CoolCovers are good, I have one on my1200 Explorer now, and both have the added advantage of allowing water to run off the seat if riding in the rain so you don't end up sitting in a puddle!

I got mine in a recycle shop.  Or it would be a charity shop in UK.  € 5.00 !   And an afternoon's work to reduce it in size. Been in use since January 2019. The summer before, I suffered badly with a heat/sweat rash on my groin and crotch area after several long days in the saddle in the South of France.

Since then, I've had longer hotter days on the bike but no discomfort whatsoever.

Slightly cooler around the arse in winter but I just wear thicker knickers now.

01.08 Making Seat Cover for TDM at Rue de la Fosse aux Loups.JPG