Sym Jet 4 125 - Won't start after a few years sitting

maxrpg

Go to solution Solved by Mississippi Bullfrog,

Hi,

I have the Sym Jet 4 125 scooter, sadly it has been sat for about 3 years doing nothing for various reasons, lock-downs, health.

However, I've been wanting to get it back out on the road, I've checked all the breaks, done all my oil changes, installed a new battery, drained and changed the petrol, but when I try to start it, it sounds like its trying to kick over but never quite gets there. The solenoid is triggering (not clicking like its dead) seems to be working fine, but the scooter just won't start.

I haven't removed/cleaned the carburetor yet, that's next on my list, maybe its clogged or something and hopefully that will fix it. But figured I'd get a head start just in case that doesn't solve the problem.

Any ideas of what I could check to find the problem?

Thanks

• Solution

1. Make sure the new battery is fully charged. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's fully charged.

2. Replace the spark plug. A dirty plug won't fire. 

3. If it's sat for three years with fuel in the carb you can bet there's gummed up fuel residue in there. Give it a good clean.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2023 at 17:51, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

1. Make sure the new battery is fully charged. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's fully charged. DONE

2. Replace the spark plug. A dirty plug won't fire. DONE

3. If it's sat for three years with fuel in the carb you can bet there's gummed up fuel residue in there. Give it a good clean. DONE

I tried everything that you suggested, its still not firing up.

I have a feeling it may be ignition coil, I took the boot out and tried a couple of old spark plugs in it (no idea if they're good or not) and didn't see any spark when I hit the ignition. I didn't want to take the new spark plug out that I fitted this morning because it was so fiddly and took ages to get it in, but I've ordered some more, as well as a new ignition coil and will test those tomorrow, see if I have any luck.

If I'm still not getting any spark, do you reckon it could be the stator?

I'm not sure what else it could be, I've cleaned the carb, checked all my wires are in place, has fresh fuel, new oil, a fully charged battery, when I hit the ignition everything lights up and it sounds like its firing up but the engine just doesn't want to start - though I did get a very faint whiff of exhaust fumes from time to time.

The scooter has been sat indoors in my hallway the entire time so it hasn't been exposed to bad weather or anything.

Now what?!? 😭

Okay, I managed to get my scooter up and running, turns out it was the stator, but now I have another problem.

Scooter now turns over first time hitting the starter button, all good, idle's just fine, I was so happy when I finally heard the engine going again. I gave it some throttle and I can hear the engine revving, but the back wheel isn't moving. I can move it freely by hand, I've checked the CVT belt and it is fine, I'm not an expert but there's no corrosion, and tension is good.

What could be the problem now?

Just to recap, the scooter was working perfectly fine before left sitting for a few years, hasn't been punished by the elements as has been stored indoors.

They are a centrifugal clutch aren't they? Chances are it's seized. Sometimes getting them hot can free them off. So try leaving it running for a while before you start taking it to bits. 

The last one I freed that way took about an hour and a half. So be patient. 

• Like 1

On 02/07/2023 at 07:56, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

They are a centrifugal clutch aren't they? Chances are it's seized. Sometimes getting them hot can free them off. So try leaving it running for a while before you start taking it to bits. 

The last one I freed that way took about an hour and a half. So be patient. 

But won't leaving it idling for that long cause damage?