2012 yamaha XJ6 Diversion

CBFfazed

Hello, i bought this XJ6 and finding it difficult to change down the gears especially from 3 to 2, 2 to neutral  sometimes going straight into 1st,

Tried adjusting the linkage rod no luck. I have no problem going up the box.

Any body had the same problem or is just me, i had a Honda before and had no problems with gear selection.

cheers

I'd check clutch adjustment first. Follow the set up/adjustment instructions correctly. Just adjusting the screw at the clutch lever isn't good enough.

Usual method is to remove one end of the cabe. Then adjust the lift mechanism in the gearobx casing untill there a small clearance. Then adjust the cable, typically the end of the clutch lever should move 10-15mm before feeling resistance. This is a general guide to how to do it, it varies slightly with each bike.

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i removed the case adjusted as you said, but noticed the small drive chain behind the clutch housing does have a lot of slack, i think it drives the oil - water pumps.

i can actually move the pump sprocket back and forwards along the shaft and i can hear it hitting each side  (some times i hear this same noise when engine is hot when i blip the revs) so, any body know if this is ok or do i have another problem with it.

thanks

kc

• 3 weeks later...

Very worst case is the selector forks bearings could be worn or the forks them selfs bent slighly... not as bad as early Suzukis but not quite bullet proof.

going up the gearbox is very easy quite stress free for it, going down is not.

Sounds weird but hear me out it might not be for you but good info for other people... does this one have has the clutch rod actuator a metal rod sticking out from the case just next but Slightly higher and to the left of the sprocket and chain transmission? It that is worn or too short (you can fit one from a similar model but its just a fraction too short) and wont push enough to select. The reasons being if the chain snapped it takes this rod out first and pretty much everytime, people put in one from other sources thinking that one will fit from a different model thinking its the same engine.... its not the same.

back to thw other question, slight movement Isnt a true issue but depends on how much and if it's twisted slightly. if you hear it on blip there is less tension on  than on true drve id doubt it would be that on its own unless the shaft has too much movement sliding in and out to say...(giddity) or the inside sprocket to the shafts locking teeth is too worn creating a slapping noise from retention and detention similar to chain slack the other could be if the chain has stretched slightly..vis is more of a visual inspection.

Edited by RideWithStyles