Stolen / Recovered Deauville nt700 locks & panniers (Screwdrivered)

Shepherd

After having my Deau written off a couple of years ago, I decided it was time to get another to A) Get me through Winter & B) Give my sorry a## a break from the Versys I currently use.

I didn't want to use the Versys in the Winter, it has been looked after so far, but I don't want to have to keep covering it and locking it away every night etc. The Dullsville can be left on the drive as is.

Funds dictated what I could get, and I ended up with a clean looking 10' Plate that was a stolen/recovered insurance job, purchased (unknowingly) from the dreaded 4th Dimension ebay listing.

Anyhoo, the locks have all been screwdrivered to destruction, which means I can't open the Panniers to get the seat off etc. (The release lever is inside the pannier!). The ignition has been bypassed with a switch, and the H.I.S.S, is still active, so the key is left in the useless ignition barrell when in use.

Sorry, long intro for a quick question ...
Can I just drill the lock barrels out to gain access? I know I can use the ' proddy stick method' to release ( if ya know - ya know 😉), but only when unlocked. Will drilling the barrel be enough, or am I going to lose the pannier lid to gain access?
If I drill the hinges at the bottom, I think the tops will still be locked shut.

Typically, the right hand side is open! 🙄

Any tips welcomed!

I posted on the Deauville forum, but it looks a little quiet on there compared to here.

From what limited experience I have of breaking into things - I have found that when disaster strikes drilling the lock barrel works. You are effectively drilling through the mechanism that is locking it closed so as long as you drill in the right place it ought to open. I suspect the material in the locks isn't the best anyway but make sure you've got good quality drill bits and go slowly using plenty of lubricant.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply - I wasn't sure if drilling would leave the locking pins in place, but I assume they'll fall into the space creared by drill bit.

Fingers crossed for the 'driller thriller' on Wednesday!