First bike!

AK2DAY

14 hours ago, AK2DAY said:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202311013524143

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202309222263277

So I am thinking something along these lines for a first one. I think 125 to start and then move up the ranks as I gain confidence. Thoughts?

This might sound like a silly question... Will I notice much different between a 125 and a 300? I assume 600 is where I'd start to feel it more

Honestly bigger bikes are not only easier to ride but if you have the right mentality they're safer.

A 125 you're riding at it's limit much of the time, you've got skinny tyres, small brakes and less grunt to move out of danger. At dual carriageway speeds you'll struggle to get more than 60, especially with your build and then you're into the realms of the bike feeling very unstable under you.

"Full fat" bikes are much smoother aind more stable, bigger brakes, better tyres, better suspension. You'll be much comfier in terms of the frame. The power increase you will feel but because of longer gearing it's not like it'll tear your head off - it's simply there when needed.

It's normal to be intimidated by the unknown - I was scared to get on the big bikes. But actually the big bikes are a much better thing to build time in the saddle if you're not of the sort that will ride it stupidly, easier to ride and more reassuring with the added stability and safety margins.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, megaross said:

Honestly bigger bikes are not only easier to ride but if you have the right mentality they're safer.

A 125 you're riding at it's limit much of the time, you've got skinny tyres, small brakes and less grunt to move out of danger. At dual carriageway speeds you'll struggle to get more than 60, especially with your build and then you're into the realms of the bike feeling very unstable under you.

"Full fat" bikes are much smoother aind more stable, bigger brakes, better tyres, better suspension. You'll be much comfier in terms of the frame. The power increase you will feel but because of longer gearing it's not like it'll tear your head off - it's simply there when needed.

It's normal to be intimidated by the unknown - I was scared to get on the big bikes. But actually the big bikes are a much better thing to build time in the saddle if you're not of the sort that will ride it stupidly, easier to ride and more reassuring with the added stability and safety margins.

That's really good to know, I appreciate it. It all makes perfect sense too.

I will look at a 600cc then I think 😁

• Like 7

Yes getting there Those are super sports to sports of the era, ill start at the supersport side:

the cbr is a good bike, less variable mechanics downfalls but its more super sports with higher and thinner seat, one more for experienced fast road rides to trackdays at the time id say, hence why it might have 8 owners. Trying to get decent luggage (beyond a small tail pack is difficult to silly) or be worth while is a negative for what you want to do.
They do suffer with recifiers.

but would I recommend this to you for that it sound like you want to do, no.

then the daytona not a bad bike, slightly more road going and mechanics good. but one thing to keep an eye out is the electrical side, stators, regs, alarms, batterys...

Still a little bit fast A road stuff.

the TT is more again road bias, similar to the daytona with older swooping looks. Better. 

think there are better options for your more wider use, so start a list at which some one most likly mentioned before not in any order;

suzuki sv650/s, gsx600 early 2000 to 650, gsf600-650/s.

yamaha yzf600r, fz600/fz6 fazer.

Honda hornet , cbr600f early 2000 or late 90s The model you said was a bit too ss.

NT700V Deauville...

kawazaki er6f. Very early zx6 or zzr600. I think there are a few more but thats the main ones id go with.

With your weight the sv650 engine will work well as its a vtwin like a ducati, loads of torque low down the rev range and can rev out  if your in the mood but its less fussed about it to make progress, cheap as chips, parts galore other than that the other exception is the er6f being a parallel. most of the others in the list are pretty much the same being inline fours not to say their any worse, just different flavour or bag.

On 07/11/2023 at 11:48, AK2DAY said:

Manual or automatic - I don't know, probably automatic for ease (I prefer auto cars)

Commuting or pleasure - pleasure 

City or rural - both but mainly city probably 

Height - 6ft

Weight - lump... 19st

I am thinking more of a cruiser type than a sports bike. I like the idea of it being a more chilled ride around with space for some luggage/essentials.

Price - first bike I would say up to £3k with the thought of potentially upgrading once I have found my feet

Firstly, its rare to find an affordable cruiser and (more importantly) a cruiser that is suitable for someone of your height. but, there are exceptions.

If you want an automatic there is really only one bike that might possibly fall within your budget and be ideal for city riding with luggage available. and thats the Honda NC700 or the more recent NC750 either with DCT (as an option)

its only automatic if you want it to be. it can be ridden manually too. you don't get a clutch lever.. and its amazing how quickly you stop missing one of them. gear changes are with the press of a button and always perfect. no crunching or pogoing here.

fairly modern so you get ABS and so on. its not a super sports. (but then neither are cruisers) but, its a Honda and so a reliable bike that will be easy enough to service. And will not scare you to death.. but, would make for an ideal first bike that will not crash in value and so would be fine to trade in or sell if you decide to move onwards (and upwards) A fair few people tour on these bikes so they are fairly long legged. bit of a jack of all trades.  The fuel tank is actually under the seat so you get storage in the 'fake' petrol tank. which is quite nifty. With the fuel under the seat this gives you a low centre of gravity - which is always a good thing.

Seat height might be a bit low.. but nowhere near as low as a cruiser. and is easily fixable if necessary. 

here is a review. https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/nc700x/2012/

honda-nc700x.thumb.jpg.74af259994289d854d81051fcd3ba937.jpg

Edited by Gerontious

5 hours ago, AK2DAY said:

6' tall I'd recommend checking the ergonomics on https://cycle-ergo.com/

All of those are possible valid choices but my concern is being they're quite sports focused you might not be the most comfortable 

4 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I think more recent responders might have missed this post.

firstly its rare to find an affordable cruiser and (more importantly) a cruiser that is suitable for someone of your height. but, there are exceptions.

If you want an automatic there is really only one bike that might possibly fall within your budget and be ideal for city riding with luggage available. and thats the Honda NC700 or the more recent NC750 either with DCT (as an option)

its only automatic if you want it to be. it can be ridden manually too. you don't get a clutch lever.. and its amazing how quickly you stop missing one of them. gear changes are with the press of a button and always perfect. no crunching or pogoing here.

fairly modern so you get ABS and so on. its not a super sports. (but then neither are cruisers) but, its a Honda and so a reliable bike that will be easy enough to service. And will not scare you to death.. but, would make for an ideal first bike that will not crash in value and so would be fine to trade in or sell if you decide to move onwards (and upwards) A fair few people tour on these bikes so they are fairly long legged. bit of a jack of all trades.  The fuel tank is actually under the seat so you get storage in the 'fake' petrol tank. which is quite nifty. With the fuel under the seat this gives you a low centre of gravity - which is always a good thing.

Seat height might be a bit low.. but nowhere near as low as a cruiser. and is easily fixable if necessary. 

here is a review. https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/nc700x/2012/

honda-nc700x.thumb.jpg.74af259994289d854d81051fcd3ba937.jpg

No Gero it wasnt missed, suitable reply mentioned it about 15 posts in by myself and two others. ☺️

6 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

No Gero it wasnt missed, suitable reply mentioned it about 15 posts in by myself and two others. ☺️

Oh.  I could only read so far…  I got distracted when a chair was thrown at me. Followed by a sock. (And I’m not sure which was worse)

fixed.

Edited by Gerontious

No. long time ago i heard rumours and tales during covid lockdowns of strange goings on involving chairs and socks...i just assumed it was to stop 🧦s going missing or stop chairs feet getting cold. 

🤭🤡

Edited by RideWithStyles