keeps poping out of gear???

gary4286

Might simply need a bit of clutch cable adjustment.... Not technical though so have booger all idea how to do it.

You might want to try a trick I learnt on here once.

When you want to change from 1st to 2nd.

Pull clutch in

Push gear stick up with foot BUT keep foot under gear stick still forcing the gear stick up.

Let clutch out.

As the clutch comes out you might feel the gear get pushed in by your foot still applying pressure to the gear stick.

I do it on all gears, and it never lets me down.

Only thing I am worried about is that if it is a more serious problem this could cause your bike to be pushed into 2nd if it still only drops in to Neutral. If you arn't prepared for it, it might be a very scary moment, so be careful if you do try it mate.

bent or worn selectors, or the dogs that select the individual gears are worn or chipped, allowing it to pop out.

Thats assuming the gearchange is ok, and the selector mech springs arent broken etc, it does feel like the same stifness up and down.

Also check the gear selector shaft is free, and not siezed into the engine casings or sprocket cover if it passas thru it.

Might simply need a bit of clutch cable adjustment.... Not technical though so have booger all idea how to do it.

You might want to try a trick I learnt on here once.

When you want to change from 1st to 2nd.

Pull clutch in

Push gear stick up with foot BUT keep foot under gear stick still forcing the gear stick up.

Let clutch out.

As the clutch comes out you might feel the gear get pushed in by your foot still applying pressure to the gear stick.

I do it on all gears, and it never lets me down.

Only thing I am worried about is that if it is a more serious problem this could cause your bike to be pushed into 2nd if it still only drops in to Neutral. If you arn't prepared for it, it might be a very scary moment, so be careful if you do try it mate.

nowt to do wi clutch I reckon. if it were clutch then you'd have the problem changing between any 2 gears. popping out of gear is a gearbox issue.

yeah i went into the yamaha shop nd he said the selector posibly as well but i wouldnt have the slightest clue on how to fix it. it all feels the same when i change gears and it even feels like it clicks into gear and as i go to pull awy it just revs cos its not in gear its really anoying also i had a good ride today and it sliped agin i think it was 3rd to 4th some one mentioned to me something bout ghosting gears or sumthing like that he also said selector. no its never been dropped and i dont think its ever been stamped on the lever but i dont know about previous owners how if it is the selector can i fix it?

cheers guys

Could be the star selector, thats why I wondered if the gear selector lever felt'normal' going up and down, the little sprung detent can get slack, the star can come loose or wear, and these can cause the issues reported, if it is the case, its an easy fix, but if the bike is ridden, then every 'jump' is gonna cause dog wear, so try to avoid until its repaired eh.

its ok at finding neutral its just when i give it a fist full mostly from 1st to 2nd is the prob but as i say has done it from 3rd to 4th once or twice. but its not everytime either just a pain cheers for the help.