Schuberth C4 Pro

Mawsley

Helmet City are doing deals - C4 Pro models from £269.

I could probably use my Shoei for another few months before launching it into the face of an oncoming train, but I decided that I'd grab a C4 Pro while they are half priceish. Bought the SC1 Advanced intercom too.

One word: snug

This thing is the snuggest, huggiest lid I've ever worn. It feels like my head is being warmly cosseted in the cleavage of some furry, firm breasts. Schuberth should employ me to do their copywriting.

Another word: convenient

Putting the SRL comms system into a Neotek II is a complete PITA. In this day and age, and at the price of the helmet, having some pre-moulded channels isn't good enough - especially as they aren't in the right place and the lining never sat right afterwards. The Schuberth system consists of two units, the batter and the control. Both just slot in to the spaces and mesh with the preinstalled speakers, mic, wiring and aerials. That, dear Shoei, is how it's done. That's adulting at a helmet level.

And yet more words: the visor is exceptional, the air flow control a league beyond Shoei's offering, the opening mechanism is a breeze, the preinstalled Pinlock means I can't mess up doing it myself - which I always do - and the charging cable may be an archaic USB version (like on the SRL) but the provided lead actually clicks into place. 

These Germans know a thing or two.

And a 5yr warranty means that if I'm spitting blood in 2 yrs time (like I am with the Neotek) I can get stuff replaced for free.

Recommended.

• Like 2

Great review.  I've been considering one of these helmets myself, I think it was just the mixed reviews I was reading about fit, and the visor failing to stay clicked open at even slower speeds and misting up that was putting me off.  I do think I'm going to give one a whirl though.  My Neotec is starting to show it's age,  and as you correctly pointed out, after I fitted the intercom the lining has never stayed in place properly since, I'm forever having to fiddle around clicking it back onto the press studs.

2 hours ago, manxie49 said:

Great review.  I've been considering one of these helmets myself, I think it was just the mixed reviews I was reading about fit, and the visor failing to stay clicked open at even slower speeds and misting up that was putting me off.  I do think I'm going to give one a whirl though.  My Neotec is starting to show it's age,  and as you correctly pointed out, after I fitted the intercom the lining has never stayed in place properly since, I'm forever having to fiddle around clicking it back onto the press studs.

The only misting issue I experienced yesterday was my glasses. 

Fit - definitely try one on first as it could be claustrophobic to some I reckon. I popped one on in our local J&S factory shop. 

Visor was happy staying up either part or fully open at low around town and higher speed (30) leaving town.  

• Like 1

I've been a C4 Pro user for around a couple of years now. Personally the only issue I've ever had is, as Manxie says, the visor not staying open at increased speeds. I have tried my screen in varying positions as I ride but it never stopped the visor slamming closed at around 60mph.

My solution was to remove the visor and fit a thicker O-ring on the helmet/visor mounting point. This has mainly cured the issue but occasionally it still occurs on Autobahns.