Planning my first summer tour

Ido_de

Hello everyone! I’m new here, and happy to find out about this forum. It looks great. 

I’m starting to plan my first tour in Europe, for about a month in September. 
I have many questions, and I would be glad if you can help me even with some: 

Would you recommend buying  or renting a motorcycle for a period of little bit over a month?

Are there certain countries in which motorcycles are significantly cheeper?

As I’ve stated, I thought about traveling the alps for a month or so. If any of you guys could direct me to a nice tour plan it could be great. 

Would like to hear your opinion and advice. Thanks! 

Its probably easier to rent as the rental company will very likely sort out all the associated documentation, liability insurance and assistance you might need to carry or have available.

you might find that you are not allowed under the terms of the rental agreement to leave the country that the bike was rented in. or there might be further restrictions, on distance covered for example.

its probably best for you to search for rental companies in the rough area you have in mind, or that are close to your arrival point. (airport) and talk to them via email or read what they have to say on their websites. find out what documentation you must provide to them and any limitations there are and proceed from there.

At a guess I would suppose that Switzerland would be the most expensive country to rent from. followed by Germany and Italy.  but that's really only a guess.

You make no mention of where you currently live or what nationality you are. thats important. if you are non-european then I cannot see how buying would be easier given the requirement for insurance.

Edited by Gerontious
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Gerontious said probably better to rent. Should be more straightforward for all the documentation would be arranged as all you'll need is a valid licence and a credit card. Maybe some restrictions on moving between countries but maybe not. If you buy you've got all the hassle of getting the documentation which could take a while and there could be issues with residency etc. Also assuming you don't want to keep it you'll have the hassle of selling it. Finally if you rent and have any issues like breakdowns or accidents/ incidents you'll be in a better position to get the rental company to sort you out. If you own it that's going to be on you.

You mentioned the Alps & September in your post, just be aware that come the second or third week of September many of the winter resort areas that had opened to take advantage of the summer tourist close up for a month or two after the main holiday season is done to do maintenance, let the staff take a holiday or whatever in preparation for their main business, the winter season. That's not to say you struggle to find accommodation, but away from the main centres some hotel restaurants may be closed and other facilities limited. That said there'll also be less other tourists around and the roads will be clearer. Also the weather starts to turn come late September. When the sun shines it's still plenty warm enough, but the odds are you will need your waterproofs at some point.

Im not so sure about September being less conducive due to closures. in my experience that comes later as September is still very much "summer" this far south and a favourite time for holidays for people who are 'without responsibility'. ie older folks and childless couples and so on.  its only later into October and early November that the switchover from summer to winter sports begins in earnest. at weekends in particular these places become rammed as people take advantage of the dog days of summer. where the length of daylight is still reasonable and the risk of snowfall or indeed a frost remains low. Theres quite a contrast between September and the period between easter and the start of the summer holidays for example. of the two periods I would opt for September every time as the weather trends towards being more settled compared to the earlier period I mentioned.

although a bad September is always possible, its far less likely than a bad May for example. or even June.

that's been my experience anyway. though it excludes Switzerland as I avoid that country as much as possible.

• Like 3