Hello from West Africa

Cycleops

I'm an old guy now living in Ghana but previously from the UK.

BiTD I had quite a few bikes including a Commando, Suzuki Kettle, Ducati Darmah and Honda CB250. Now wanting to get back into it after riding cycles here. 

Finding something here that hasn't been abused is not easy so I'll be looking for buying advice.

Looking forward to meeting you online very soon.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum @Cycleops

I'm not sure how much advice you'll get on buying or riding in west Africa, but it's a very friendly forum, and people here have a lot of experience to share. 

Edited by Simon Davey

Welcome, not the usual part of the world we get a member from.

What’s it like there for getting spares, tyres etc? No good buying a bike you can’t service or repair easily.

What does everyone else local ride, if you bought something decent ,would it be a thief magnet? 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the replies.

There is a lot of motorcycle use here but it's mainly Chinese bikes. These are all copies of the venerable Honda CG125 which I'm sure you're all familiar with. There is also a 150cc version and is available in various forms. There are a few companies producing what looks like the same basic bike, it's very popular and cheap.

Screenshot_20240324-092842.thumb.png.cf5ccdd5611ed51016b012c7a05fe03b.png

This is a Royal.

There is a Yamaha dealer here but they sell small capacity bikes only I think.

For other Japanese models you have to look used which are imported. I've found a few which are not too bad and I'll be asking for advice on those very soon.

For spares it's the used market again, although I could buy specific parts from the UK and courier it here.

Theft can be a problem so will be using a good lock but generally there is not too much criminality here unlike Nigeria or SA.

Edited by Cycleops
Additional information
  • Like 1