The new DSA motorcycle practical test...

Guest KawasakiAndy

I saw the new layout today whilst waiting for someone who was on their test.

I have to admit, the U-turn area looks bigger, this may be because there are no kerbs :)

Rest of the coned out area looks ok and not too challenging.

Test centre was Colwick in nottingham if you are in the area and want a look.

Lad passed with 1 minor as well (not my lad, just someone I was with)

I saw the new layout today whilst waiting for someone who was on their test.

I have to admit, the U-turn area looks bigger, this may be because there are no kerbs :)

Rest of the coned out area looks ok and not too challenging.

Test centre was Colwick in nottingham if you are in the area and want a look.

Lad passed with 1 minor as well (not my lad, just someone I was with)

Apparently the road for the U-Turn is wider than what has been used on the real roads.

Interested to see and try the new system myself. Might have a wander down to the Nottingham one and see what it's like.

Drop into Newbies and say hello mate... Good to see another Derby lad on board!! :D :D

Its not the actual test itself I was worrying about. Its the faffing about getting to the test centre that is alot further away, the costs involved and the time off work.

Obviously getting a test at the local test centre will be much easier. All I have to do is practice the f'ing u-turn... until I can do them in my sleep.

Is this to do with the new rules about what size bikes you can ride after taking your tests etc?

I am 27 now and after being stiffed by a company called bikeability in Telford (disappeared with £300 of my money!) when I was 21 I really want to get my direct access test done and get myself a nice 600cc.

But I heard I wouldn't be able to do that with this new system!

Is this to do with the new rules about what size bikes you can ride after taking your tests etc?

I am 27 now and after being stiffed by a company called bikeability in Telford (disappeared with £300 of my money!) when I was 21 I really want to get my direct access test done and get myself a nice 600cc.

you can still do direct access on the new test

you can still do direct access on the new test

which means you could pass and get yourself a very ncie 600cc :D

According to a post I have just read on MCN, the cheeky twats are going to up the cost of the old test to £80 from 29th September so they don't have to issue refunds to the centres who have block booked the "new test" :x

What a bunch of incompetent tossers we have in charge of this country.

Hope you don't mind my ignorance here, but what exactly does your test entail? I live in the US and have my motorcycle endorsement here, would that transfer over or would I need to take a test? Right now I have two 600cc bikes, would I be able to ride the equivalent?

Here in Nevada you can get your license one of two ways. Either take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, which is a weekend long course where they give you 250cc bikes like the honda rebel or kawi ex250 to ride. You take a written and a skills test at the end. It involves u-turns figure 8s, emergency stopping, etc. All done on a close course=parking lot. Once you have completed that you take that certificate to our Department of Motor Vehicles and you have your license.

The other way is to take a skills test at the DMV which involves a closed course skills test as well. The only difference is that you have to use your bike, so if you have a sport bike with a steering damper it can be hard since all of the maneuvers are very low speed and short distance stuff. The cone slalom is the hardest as they are spaced close together.

There is absolutely no on road practical stuff at all. If you have a 125cc bike to do the test on you could pass it first time every time even if you were simply a slightly trained monkey.

BTW if I wanted to I could go purchase a Hayabusa as my first bike without even having a license. There are no rules about anything like that.

Its fairly complicated, you can find all the details somewhere on the forum, but basically:

- You have to take a 1 day course called a CBT (both on a parking lot and on public roads) to validate your provisional entitlement, then you can ride...

- 50cc at age 16 or 125cc at age 17+ with learner plates

- to go above 125cc you need to take a theory test and a practical test

- the theory test is multiple choice and most people find it fairly straight forward

- the practical test is on the public roads and includes an emergency stop and U-turn (to test slow speed control) as well as general riding.

- if you are under 21 you will be limited to 33bhp for 2 years, if you are over 21 and take the test on a bike with at least 47bhp then you can ride anything.

- In march next year the test is chaning to include an additional section off the roads, which sounds a bit like your test with riding a slalom, figure-8s etc. There will still be a ride on the public road to assess your general riding.

- I am not sure what the deal is with transfering licences, I'm sure someone here will know though.

:lol: we have a resident yank :lol:

pumillio, he's been here a while, you need to speak to him,

your usa licence lasts a year i think during which time you have to do our test, might be 2

i might be wrong, talk to him :lol:

either pm him or search his posts i'm sure this has been mentioned before

• 3 weeks later...

what you all worried about

the new test is easy

7.5 mts for a u turn, you could turn a bus around

anyone here rode the new test??????

i have, and its easy guys, dont worry

what you all worried about

the new test is easy

7.5 mts for a u turn, you could turn a bus around

anyone here rode the new test??????

i have, and its easy guys, dont worry

welcome put a post up in newbies and introduce yourself and are you going to be giving discounts on TMBF members

give a location as well may hlp others

posted in newbies

forgot to mention in on the new rpmt register of post test motorcycle trainers also

your first question to me is about discount

give me a chance m8

i have only been here 5 mins

im here to answer any questions guys n gals about your training and test

if i can help, i will

tnx

:lol: we have a resident yank :lol:
Oh dear...! Intrepid: Rennie is right but I have a few thoughts to add. :)

First, your US license is legal to drive on in the UK for 1 year after you move here. HOWEVER, try getting insurance for a car or bike on your American license and they will, ahem, how to say this delicately, R-word your booty (if you disclose you are not on a UK license).

To get your UK bike license you need to do several things, assuming your goal is to ride a big bike (i.e., a bike making better than 33bhp) in the UK (and assuming you are older than 21):

1) Apply for a license from the UK Driving Standards Agency (DSA) - they'll send you a green provisional license. You can't ride a bike with just this after a year.

2) Take your CBT - a one day motorbike training course on 125cc bikes - it will be a lot like the off-road manoeuvres certification required in most states now, but will also include an on-road assessment. With this you can ride and insure up to a 125cc bike.

3) Take and pass a 50 question multiple choice test on UK road law and standards - that will include a video hazard perception test. With this you can book your practical test.

4) Book, take and pass your practical, “DAS” on-road test. Most people take at least a few days of “DAS” training before taking their test. With this you can ride any bike you choose... IF you can afford the insurance... :lol:

Doing all this stuff is a pain, but I think it will make you a safe rider on UK roads...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 17 on February 27th so i'll be cutting it fine, probably only get one chance so i'm kind of crapping it.. Can i book my theory before I'm 17, cos surely the theory for a 50cc would be the same as a 500 or more cc test?

• 4 weeks later...

I am 21 on feb 20th 2009, that gives me about a month :(

I do not think us bikers are the problem, why not make car/bus/hgv drivers take a test to learn how to 'not smash into motorbikes' FFS!!!

Just booked my theory test for 2 January. I'm condifent about passing the theory because I've practiced loads and getting 49 or 50/50. It's hazard perception that's worrying me a bit :?

• 4 weeks later...

Foweeeeeel,

Hazzard perception part wasn't bad, (do they give out practices for these?) - I remember just tagging everything (click when starts and then for finishes) that moved and managed to get 80%.

Great (old) news though (curse my forgotten login)

Hazaarrrr and Merry Xmas!! :mrgreen:

Good luck DAS'ers :cheers: