The new DSA motorcycle practical test...

Guest KawasakiAndy

is there anyway of finding out what dates are available for current practical wiothout having your CBT number or driving license?

i just want to know if there are any Saturdays left!

Go on the DSA website, you can enter your area to find out when and where tests are available without having to commit to one.

• 2 weeks later...

the only prob I can see with the new test is the lack of test centers

added to the the test takes longer there wil be less tests per day as well

there will be less newbies like me on the road each week

the test itself takes the guess work out of the u-turns ect as will be a standard distance where ever you take it

the test itself takes the guess work out of the u-turns ect as will be a standard distance where ever you take it

Very true mate. And although you will have to do a shoulder check you will ALWAYS know nothing is gonna be there.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone taken the new test yet, I will be doing it next month, Practical and the other bit.

I am not looking forward to it, but gotta be done....

To be fair, your instructor shouldn't put you forward for any test until you're ready, and so, although it will be different from the old one, the experience will be the same for all candidates.

Pop into Newbies and tell us a bit more about yourself.

PPF

Yeah will do, My instructor told me yeah, Did it with "Bigup" on here, just not had time to slip in the old test now faced with new test.

So any-one actually done it yet?

nobody has done it because it only comes in on the 27th April.

I'm going to have to do the new one too, but I dont actually see what the problem is (apart from having to ride further to get to the nearest test centre). The test itself sounds easier if anything - you have a nice flat surface to do your U turn on which is apparently a bit wider than you would of got before too. I dont know about you but I find it much easier to do a U turn in a car park than on a proper road with gutters and camber etc.

Also, what some people might not know (I didnt until 2 days ago) is that you only have to go to one of these special test centres for the first part of your test, which lasts roughly 15 minutes if that. Then when you have passed that you get a certificate which then allows you to book the main road riding part of the test, similar to how it works when you pass your theory and then book your test now. So you can then do the main road riding part of the test at your local test centre as normal

nobody has done it because it only comes in on the 27th April.

I'm going to have to do the new one too, but I dont actually see what the problem is (apart from having to ride further to get to the nearest test centre). The test itself sounds easier if anything - you have a nice flat surface to do your U turn on which is apparently a bit wider than you would of got before too. I dont know about you but I find it much easier to do a U turn in a car park than on a proper road with gutters and camber etc.

its funny but I found it easier on the road with a physical barrier than an open one

Also, what some people might not know (I didnt until 2 days ago) is that you only have to go to one of these special test centres for the first part of your test, which lasts roughly 15 minutes if that. Then when you have passed that you get a certificate which then allows you to book the main road riding part of the test, similar to how it works when you pass your theory and then book your test now. So you can then do the main road riding part of the test at your local test centre as normal

so dose that mean if you go for the test and fail the road bit but not the off road you only have to take the part you failed again ?

if so why not put it in the cbt ?

I think it costs £10 more or something but dont quote me on that

I managed to get mine in 5 days before the swap over :) But was told by the training centre that if i do need to redo it, it would cost around £150 - £200 more!!

yeah but thats just them charging you for more training, the test itself doesnt cost £150 or whatever. I think its about £85 for the test.

Learner - no it doesnt quite work like that because you have to pass the first part (15 min off road part) before you can book the second part.

This is so stupid, for ages the DSA website has said "you will be able to book the new practical test from 30 March (at the latest) onwards" and now it says:

"We are presently unable to accept bookings via the internet for either module 1 or module 2 of the new motorcycle test which goes live on 27 April. We expect to be in a position to accept bookings for these tests on the internet in the near future"

What a load of sh*te..

Oh and it doesnt cost anymore than the current test - its £10 for module 1 which is the off road part and £80 ish for module 2

Like I said, that is because they started charging the cost of the new test back when it was supposed to come in.

My first test was the old rate and was the beginning of September, and my second test was the new rate as it was at the beginning of October.