Revving before hot

jabcrosshook

Just curious, I know your not meant to do it, so I don't. But what happens to the bike if you do rev it? :?

it goes faster and gets noisier

its because of the chance that the oil has not had time to lubricate all the parts therefore increasing the risk of premature engine wear but you then have the flipside especially with non watercooled engines of that a standing engine will heat up too quick if left to warm up standing and increases the risk of premature engine failure.......

take up smoking, start your bike, pull the choke if needed (half or full) light up sit on the seat relax think about your route or play with something to keep you unbored lol then once you finish the cigi the bike should be warm enough to ride only takes 3-4 mins for my old sump to warm.

Please note: this is not an advise to start smoking or to play with something not deemed safe for public viewing.

General rule i've read is that you should ride it to warm it up, just not hard.

:stupid:

all this start bike warm it up before riding is bollox it actually causes more harm then you think

an engine is at its best when working to move the bike so starting then riding straight off is best just ride steady till it warms up

havent any of you noticed how quick the bike actually warms up if you just start it and ride it straight away :)

.... havent any of you noticed how quick the bike actually warms up if you just start it and ride it straight away :)

Yeah I have and its in my opinion warming the engine faster due to friction because the oil isn't doing its job properly!

Also the temperature guage is normally water temp taken from a sensor in 1 place, that doesn't mean the rest of the bike and its oil is at that temperature, I spend a lot of money putting fully synthetic oil in my KTM and semi-synthetic in my GSX-R, the oil costs so much mainly coz of marketing LOL but also coz of the science behind it. Why would KTM tell me to use a 10W/50 oil if its viscosity at operating temperature wasn't important?

.... havent any of you noticed how quick the bike actually warms up if you just start it and ride it straight away :)

Yeah I have and its in my opinion warming the engine faster due to friction because the oil isn't doing its job properly!

so if its not recomended why do manufacturers put it in their manuals ??? :roll:

warming a bike up at 2k and riding at 2k is two different things ???

quick search brings things like this up :roll:

What's The Best Way to Warm-Up Your Motorcycle Engine?

With the cool weather upon us already, talk around the coffee house has turned to what's the best way to warm-up the carbureted motorcycle. Larry "The Lizard" says "let er idle 5 to 10 minutes until you can push the choke in without the engine dying." Alex says "pull the choke all the way out, start it up and take off." Josh with a fuel injected Yamaha sport bike just laughed at us. I say I've had enough of this argument and I'm going to get this thing resolved once and for all!

I got busy checking with those who know more than us knuckleheads. Joe Minton in an American Rider magazine article (June 2006 issue) says to warm the bike's engine while riding, keeping the rpm not over halfway to redline. To let it warm-up while idling quickly destroys the engine oil's protective features.

A Motovike.com article says to use your choke "the minimum time possible" and to "never forget the choke on and take off."

The motovike article seems to contradict Joe Minton and advocate for idling the engine until the choke is not needed before taking off. Hmm, what to do?

"When in doubt read the instruction book" my Dad used to say. So I dug my Sportster Owners Manual out from the bottom of a drawer and took a peek at what Harley-Davidson says. After all, they should know best, right?

Here's what they say for a cool engine with outside temperature less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit:

1. Turn the fuel valve to the on position.

2. BE SURE THROTTLE IS CLOSED.

3. Pull enricher (choke) knob to full-out position.

4. Turn the ignition/headlamp key switch ON and press starter switch to operate the

electric starter.

5. Raise jiffy stand.

6. After initial 15-30 second warm-up, ride for 3 minutes or 2 miles with enricher

in full-out position.

7. After 3 minutes or 2 miles push the enricher knob in to the 1/2 way position.

Ride 2 minutes or 2 miles.

8. After 2 minutes or 2 miles push the enricher knob fully-in.

For a cool engine with an outside temperature of more than 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the procedure is the same except the time and distances are less.

So there you have it, Joe Minton and Harley-Davidson both contradict the Motovike article and the more extreme advice of The Lizard here at the coffee house. I told the guys what I found out and The Lizard predictably said "That's a bunch of BS coming from pencil necked GEEKS!"

So either a) Opinions are like bumholes, everyones got one or b) Read your manual for what to do.

But I was just wondering why you don't rev it, as my manual says not to rev it until warm and then ride it. Just curious why that is, and it's air cooled.

just think of it as foreplay ;)

lubricates

less friction

longer lasting

more enjoyable

Have to agree with stu on this one.

My bike starts without choke every day and sits idling long enough for me to put my lid on (less than a minute) then i'm off.

I just keep the revs really low and use 1/4 throttle for the first 10 minutes of riding.

Lubrication is there the minute the oil pump turns, the oil is designed to work at probably -15 to +150 centigrade so no problems there.....

BUT....

The piston is a lightweight ally component, and expands and contracts quite a bit with heat. At operating temp, it fits really nicely in the bore(big solid lump that only expands a bit)

When the piston is cold, it basically rattles up and down the bore, clattering its skirt up the bore wall and doing itself no good at all.

Warm it up first, it all fits together well, and makes power, rev it when cold, and it wears the piston quicker.

simple.

But I was just wondering why you don't rev it, as my manual says not to rev it until warm and then ride it. Just curious why that is, and it's air cooled.

increased wear :)

you shouldnt actually just rev an engine anyway even when warm as that increases wear as does leaving it just ticking over :)

an engine is made for bearing a load and should do so when running :)

you shouldnt actually just rev an engine anyway even when warm as that increases wear as does leaving it just ticking over

Yeah I know, but it makes a lovely BRAAAAP noise when I do rev it. :wink:

does it make that sound coz its cold? mine dont sound like that. :lol: :lol: :lol: