Suzuki GS125 starter motor problem

Guest drjnet

Hi,

Ive just got my first bike a gs125, i finally got it going after a lot of tinkering but now it just 'clicks' then i press the start button.

I think i may have burned out the starter motor or solenoid but im not sure how i can check before i go and buy a replacement.

Anyone know how i can check if its the actual motor or just the solenoid?

Cheers

Hi Mate

Welcome to the forum!! Drop into Newbies and introduce yourself....

Are you sure it ain't in gear as a lot of bikes won't start when in gear and the stand is down.

Lastly, make sure you have not hit the kill switch by accident!! :D

sounds like the solenoids gone, had the same thing happen on my old bike, pretty easy/cheap to fix yourself as well!

Great thanks. Is there any way to test if its definately the solenoid?

im not sure prob is but im not very good with electrics, listen to where the click is coming from and you should end up at the solenoid

its a damn site cheeper than a new starter motor thats for sure! cheers.

Hi Mate

Are you sure it ain't in gear as a lot of bikes won't start when in gear and the stand is down.

Howdy. Yep its def in neutral and kill switch not hit (!!!)

According to the Haynes if it clicks solenoid is ok, so looks like it could be motor, I did give it a good thrashing as the bike had been stood still for a while so needed some encouragement....

Hi Mate

According to the Haynes if it clicks solenoid is ok, so looks like it could be motor, I did give it a good thrashing as the bike had been stood still for a while so needed some encouragement....

hmm maybe im wrong then but mine clicked and it was the solenoid, im sure theres a way to check which one it is but i dont know but someone will do!

Hi Mate

hmm maybe im wrong then but mine clicked and it was the solenoid, im sure theres a way to check which one it is but i dont know but someone will do!

Hope it is the solenoid, near 100 quid for a new starter motor!!! The guy that helped me start the bike did keep the starter switch pressed for AGES. Just had the haynes manual dropped off it says how to test the solenoid and also that may be bushes are worn which will be cheaper than a new starter. I just want to ride the bloody thing!

click shows power to the system are you sure the batt isnt just flat? id be testing that and charging it 1st. when you drain a batt the lights will still come on due to enough current in the batt to make the lights come on but not enough to turn over the motor... just an idea get your self a Multi meter and check voltage should be around 10-12v

click shows power to the system are you sure the batt isnt just flat? id be testing that and charging it 1st. when you drain a batt the lights will still come on due to enough current in the batt to make the lights come on but not enough to turn over the motor... just an idea get your self a Multi meter and check voltage should be around 10-12v

Great ill do that thanks.

Great ill do that thanks.

or providing the batts holding charge and your alternators working bump start it take it for a whizz round the block then try start on the button!