Is this jacket any good?

Tried on an XXL RST jacket in the shop (I have 48" chest) - fitted OK.

Want to get soemthing quite cheap though.

My helmet is red/white ... nice if it matches but not essential

Want a jacket, mainly for summer/dry riding

Is this one OK?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0272677553

If not, what should I look for?

Thanks

Looks good.

Ask the following question...

Where is the CE approved armour located (Probably Elbows and shoulders, but check)

Are you intending to get a back protector? This jacket has a foam one, but that's about as useful as a chocolate teapot.....

If you are going to get a proper one that fits under the jacket, make sure the jacket has enough room to accomodate the protector..

RST make good clothing though... It should be good.

I can ask them where CE armour is - but do I need a back protector.

Here's the situation, I know nothing about this, I'm a newbie

I don't want to spend a lot

This RST one has no back armour, but better make, £70:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0247327618

If someone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

Thanks guys

No worries mate... I understand you wanting to get your kit cheap but take a look at this...

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15836

A CE Approved back protector that straps to you can cost as little as £80 - £100... £100 is not much if it keeps you out of a wheelchair (Or worse) after a crash...

I could always get a jacket now, then protector later as they can be separate, right?

Money is an issue as I'm still doing training, just want to be warm/dry when on the road all day. I appreciate that kit will grow, and I'll upgrade etc.

I don't want to compromise safety, but another £100 here and there soon adds up ...

Thanks

I can't make you buy one mate, I am just advising..... It's entirely up to you!! To be honest I have a bit of a passion for these things and see them as important as helmets in some respects... :D :D

I did my CBT and DAS without one...

Yeah they can be seperate to the jacket.... In fact they are better in my eyes as the are fastened to you and move around a lot less in an accident... Mine is a Knox one and straps to me under my jacket via shoulder straps and a waist strap (Good for holding the gut in!! :lol: :lol: )

Just make sure when you buy your jacket that it has a bit of room for one to fit under it... :thumb:

Most jackets will either have built in protection or the facility to slide some in place.

As Korben said, the separate back protectors are usually more robust and offer more protecion during an off ans they stay put, whereas an integral one may ride up with the jacket.

Don't compromise a decent fitting jacket just for a back protector - there is usually space for one underneath.

As for price - I got mine from Lidl for about £14 and it seems well up to the job.

I've just had a look at the Lidl site and they don't have any bike gear on offer at the moment, but keep looking and you'll be amazed at what they can have at reasonable prices there.

I'd had my first (and only, so far) accident before I told my parents I'd taken my test and bought a bike :D

If you can't stretch to a decent back protector yet, you can always get one of the internal ones to fit in the jacket. They're not as good as the full back protector but you can get them for about £15 if I remember correctly and they're better than the proverbial poke in the eye!