small bag

hi,

i'm looking for a small bag to carry my laptop and a pair of shoes for when i take my bike to work. i've been using a rucksack up til now but i'm not really comfortable with that and i'm not sure how safe it would be if i fell off!

i looked at tank bags but they look like they'd scrape the paint. i've got sport style bike so don't want to spoil it by putting a big lugage rail on the back.

suggestions would be appriated.

You can add a protective layer between the tankbag and tank, but they don't tend to scratch anyway - the main problem being that the bag conforms to the shape of the tank and your laptop is flat and rigid.

I bought one of these a couple of months back and would recommend it:

http://www.kriega.com/pages_uk/us20/US20-topframeset.html

No hassles attaching it to the bike, just lift the seat, pop the straps under and put the seat back on. Nice and solid so you won't drop your laptop and waterproof too which would obviously be a bonus :lol:

Otherwise, have a look at the Baglux system. A bit pricey but you can get a decent size tank bag and it won't scratch your tank. Had one on my Speed4 and it was great. Shame they don't make one for my new bike :(

Don't forget though the negative effects magnets have on hard drives etc so be careful when buying anything with magnets in it, i.e. tank bags.

I carry mine in a rucksack when needed, it also means i can just jump off the bike and nip to where i need to without having to drag all the stuff off the bike first.

I bought one of these a couple of months back and would recommend it:

http://www.kriega.com/pages_uk/us20/US20-topframeset.html(

thanks, looks like a good idea :D

i see some people are still using rucksacks. i wasn't looking for a bag to keep the laptop safe if i fell, i was more concerned about me wearing a rucksack if i fell off.

thanks for the advice tho.... i forgot all about magnets in tank bags!

...i forgot all about magnets in tank bags!

That's the beauty of the baglux system...no magnets, although you pay for the privillage! Alternatively, Oxford do a tank bag attachment thingy that straps onto the tank and the tank bag zips onto it. I've got one of these too and it's ok and not too bad pricewise. Designed for those with plastic tanks where magnets don't work :D

http://www.sounddistribution.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=3406

Magnets v Hard drive = Urban Myth

The same goes for hard drives. The only magnets powerful enough to scrub data from a drive platter are laboratory degaussers or those used by government agencies to wipe bits off media. "In the real world, people are not losing data from magnets," says Bill Rudock, a tech-support engineer with hard-drive maker Seagate. "In every disk," notes Rudock, "there's one heck of a magnet that swings the head."

Magnets v Hard drive = Urban Myth

The same goes for hard drives. The only magnets powerful enough to scrub data from a drive platter are laboratory degaussers or those used by government agencies to wipe bits off media. "In the real world, people are not losing data from magnets," says Bill Rudock, a tech-support engineer with hard-drive maker Seagate. "In every disk," notes Rudock, "there's one heck of a magnet that swings the head."

I was gonna say that aswell, well not the quote but...

Magnets shouldn't damage the laptop at all, especially not when its off.